Chapter 22

Marcel's POV

My foot pressed hard on the accelerator as I put the car into reverse, making sure to keep my speed safe and slow. Black patches still spattered my vision as my wary eyes flicked across the road.

A strange shooting pain shot over my skull and I winced, reducing my vision even further.

I took a deep breath and began to turn the car back into the direction I came from. I had no idea what time it was, where I was or where I was going, but I couldn't just stay here forever.

Carefully, I steered the car away from the verge it had skidded onto and drove down the road ahead, keeping my speed steady at fifteen miles an hour.

My bloodied hand made its way back to the top of my head which I soon realised was still bleeding, but not as bad as before.

The pain was becoming increasingly distracting, but was also spreading more evenly through my head. I couldn't decide if it was better or worse.

I slowly manouvered the car around a bend and slowly began to recognise my surroundings.

This particular patch of nowhere was situated about eleven miles from my house, meaning I would have to pick up speed if I was to make it home before I fell asleep at the wheel.

I dared to double my speed, creeping up to thirty as the fields began to blur at my sides.

All of a sudden, I began to think about Rosalind.

I really wasn't sure how or why she found her way into my mind, but she did and I didn't particularly like it.

Images of her kissing Niall against the doorframe flashed through my brain, more pain hitting me like a ton of bricks.

But despite everything, I really wanted to forgive her.

The more I thought about it the more I realised she probably hadn't lied to me all along. Why would she?

Why would the same girl who saved me from being beaten to death suddenly change her mind and become the one to beat me down?

Simple answer: she wouldn't.

Why had I let myself believe such bad things about her?

She kissed Niall, so what? We weren't together, she wasn't my property. I had no right to be angry at her. She did tell me she liked me, but that didn't mean she didn't like anyone else too.

God, why was my life so difficult?

I needed to pull myself together and just talk to her, but I didn't get my hopes up for a positive outcome.

The vehicle carried on speeding towards my home as I allowed my thoughts to take over.

It was probably a bad idea to get so lost in my head, but I really couldn't help it. I needed to just think for once.

I needed to think about myself; what I wanted.

I wanted Rosalind.

Maybe I should have told her that straight up.

Maybe I should tell her once I'm home.

Slowly, my village began to come into sight and I slowed the car, crawling at ten towards my house.

The driveway was empty and all the lights were out as usual.

My head was still throbbing like hell, so I wasn't sure what I saw, but I thought there was something in my driveway.

I parked the car on the street and took a breath before opening the door.

The pain crippled me, doubling me over in two as I attempted to step out of the car. I gasped, clutching at my broken body and wishing I'd not reacted the way I did.