Chapter 13

Rosalind's POV

I stood in the car park outside school beside Marcel's car, waiting for him. I tucked a few stray strands of hair behind my ear and turned in a full circle, searching.

Crowds of teenagers rushed past, racing to their vehicles with that joyful Friday feeling of freedom and fun.

I leaned on Marcel's car, waiting for him, and pulled out my phone. Despite only speaking to her a few minutes ago, I already had a text from Maya saying she was looking forward to tonight.

So was I, but it was looking like I'd never even get there as Marcel still hadn't appeared. I looked up from my phone to see a couple of popular boys standing in front of me. I was pretty sure they were the ones who beat up Marcel, but I wasn't going to say anything just in case I was wrong.

"What are you standing here for?" The tallest of the two asked. What did it matter to him?

"I'm waiting for someone." I simply said, before glancing back to my phone.

"Isn't this garbage tin Marcel's car?" He asked, looking slightly disgusted and slightly amused.

"Garbage tin? This is a pretty nice car, a 2011 model. It's a diesel one too, so it's better for the environment and it gets great fuel economy." I said, defending the car.

"You know cars?"

"My dad worked in that industry," I said, boredom clear in my voice. Mentally, I added 'before he left'.

"Oh," He paused. "So why are you here? I didn't think someone like you would ever go near such a freak." He laughed, and his friend joined in. I had almost forgotten he was there.

"Don't call him that. We're hanging out tonight and then going out with Ally and Maya. Anyway, what's it to you?"

"Nothing, it's just he's so... Weird, and you're just pretty aren't you? You shouldn't hang out with him."

"You shouldn't tell me what to do." I fired back.

"Why don't you ever hang out with us?" He asked, changing the subject. "You could be popular. I bet Niall would like that, you like him right?"

"I don't care about being popular," I snapped. "I have my friends, and Niall, believe it or not, is one of them. So is Marcel, and he deserves a friend. He's never done anything and everyone's so horrible to him. Especially you populars. That's why I refuse to be associated with you. I'm not like you."

"Whoa, calm it babe," He laughed.

"Don't call me that." I replied sternly.

"Whatever." He chuckled and I wanted to slap him. "Enjoy your nerd. I have places to be."

"Stop calling him that!" I snapped.

"Well, I either call him nerd, or whatever the hell I like, or you babe. That's the choice."

"What's wrong with names?"

"Too common," He smirked and began to walk off. "Nerd!" he called over his shoulder.

"Shut up!" I yelled back. "Babe it is." I practically growled.

I turned to face Marcel's car and rested my forehead on the cool glass of the window.

As I peered through the other side, I saw marcel a couple of feet away, walking closer.

"Hey," I said, suddenly aware that he was probably there for quite a while before I saw him.

"Hi," He mumbled, walking closer. I joined him at the front of the car.

"How much of that did you hear?" I asked cautiously, not wanting to upset him or embarrass myself.