Chapter 37- The Red Cough

Autumn's POV
     Louis carried me in his arms to the meadow. It was just the way I remembered it, just the grass a little bit longer, the berries plumper.
     Louis's feet touch to the ground and he lets me go. I sit down on the blanket that is still there from last time, pulling the food out of a bag I grabbed at the gas station. I had already changed into a pair of my new clothes at the clothing store, in a changing room, packing the other ones away for later.
     I lay the food on the blanket just as Louis sits down next to me, pulling me onto his lap. I was about to protest, but he catches me off guard with a kiss. It's gentle and reserved, as if he was just giving me a kiss goodnight or something like that. I pull away and look at him questioningly.
     He looks at me and sighs.
     "Autumn, there's something I've been meaning to ask you. I love you with all my heart and I want you to know that. And I'm pretty sure you love me too. So, Autumn, will you... Marry me?" he asks.
     I sit there, my brain processing what I had just been asked. I stand up and he does too.
     "Louis..." I say.
     "It's ok, I knew that you might say no was a possibility..." he says, sighing in defeat.
     "What? No! I was going to say of course but you've just ruined the mood!" I say, sitting down with a humph.
     He looks at me in surprise, his eyes wide. He picks me up and sets me on my feet. Then he gets down on one knee right in front of me.
     "Autumn Grace Deline, will you do the honor of marrying me?" he asks.
     "Yes!" I say with all of the excitement in the world filling my voice.
     Louis stands up and pulls me too him, kissing me full on. He then sits down without breaking the kiss, pulling me with him. We sit like that for a while, then we both pull away so that we can breathe.
     "So, now you're my fiancée..." Louis says.
     "Yup. And I couldn't be happier about it." I reply.
     After that, we sat down and ate our food while talking about this and that with the occasional kiss here and there.

                        May's POV
     I left the bakery where Freddy and Kora now were, resting as I hoped for them to get better. I walk around, looking for a new place to stay when I stumbled across the two people who brought Caleb to camp. The woman looked like she was sick.
     "Is she ok?" I asked the man. He just shook his head.
     The woman was rolling around in pain, coughing every few seconds. Just like Kora was a minute ago. Then the woman started to cough up blood.
     "I'm sorry... I-I don't think I can help her... What's her name?" I ask. It's the least I can do, knowing her name.
     "Amelia. She's my sister... I don't know what I would ever do without her." the boy replied, tears streaming down his cheeks. He looked to be one or two years older then I was.
     Amelia coughed again. She turned to the boy.
     "Daniel... I'm not going to make it. But you are..." She paused to cough again, this time more severe. "I can see it... And you girl, come here,"
     By now Daniel was sobbing hard. I moved closer, but not too close.
     "Girl... You may not know my brother yet but I can see the future... You will be his very best friend and possibly more... My time is through, goodbye now."
     Amelia was choking on her own blood now... And then she was still. Her skin paled and the color drained out of her eyes.
     I moved to comfort Daniel, just sliding towards him and wrapping my arms around him. He welcomed the comfort. We just stayed like that for a while, him sobbing while I just hugged him, letting him get it all out.
"Your sister... She said she could see the future? Is that her power?" I ask.
     He nods.
     "I can see things, if something is wrong with your body, I can tell you if you hold my hand." he responds.
     "My power is kind of related to that... I can heal wounds and infection... Just I can't heal diseases, as much as I wish I could."
     We just sit there for a while in an awkward silence. Finally, Daniel breaks the silence.
     "What's your name? You know mine, so I should know yours..." he asks.
     "My name is Maylee... but my friends just call me May." I say.
"My name is Daniel... Just call me that." he says.
"Would you like to go somewhere else, away from your sister to try and get this off of your mind?"
"I guess... Just give me a minute."
Daniel walks over to where Amelia now lays, closing her eyelids and then taking her hand in his. He gasps, collapsing to the ground, letting go of her hand. His breath is ragged.
"Are you ok?!" I ask, alarmed.
"I-it's a plague... Super infective to people with non health related powers... I don't know why... Make sure no one goes near anyone who's sick except us!" he shouts.
"Kora and Freddy! We have to go help them I-I assigned the boy... Caleb to take care of them! We have to go help him!" I shout.
Daniel takes my hand, running back towards the main square. I tug him in the direction of the bakery.
When we get there, Caleb is already coughing. Kora is having a seizure while Freddy just watches, helpless and coughing.
"What should we do... I can't cure them or stop a seizure!" I say.
"We need to find a cure right away... Let's draw some blood samples from... That one." he says pointing at Freddy.
Daniel grabs a little needle for extracting blood that we got from the doctor's office. Freddy brought all the supplies over here just in case we needed them.
He walks over to Freddy, me right behind him. Freddy looks up at me with wide eyes that were filled with fear.
"We need to take a blood sample or two so we can find a cure for you guys." I explain to him.
"For Kor-" he starts to say but is cut off by a new round of coughing.
By the time he's done coughing, Daniel has already taken a few blood samples from Freddy.
He heads over to the kitchen area of the bakery and starts setting up a few things.
I decide to take care of everyone else. Kora's seizure has stopped. Caleb is still on the floor coughing. I pick up Kora and lift her next to where Freddy is. She's coughing but she clings to Freddy like a child to their favorite stuffed animal. He hugs her back, looking like he won't let her go.
I take Caleb and half guide half carry him to one of the bakery's little tables. Then I let him lie down to rest.
Then I head to the back to help Daniel with the cure. I can tell this is going to be hard.

______________________________________________________
A. N. Hello! New characters, introduced and one's dead already! Lots of fun! Anyway, hope you like this update!