Fight In The ER(21)

Devin jumped up from her seat beside Sid, he released his hold on her so that she could speak with the Doctor.

"Me, I'm her mother." She replied immediately. "Is she okay?"

The doctor nodded his head and motioned for her to follow him. He sighed and placed Riley's chart on the counter, Devin watched him nervously as he glanced over the papers.

"What's wrong with her?" She asked, he pressed his lips into a hard line.

"Miss Lynn, Riley is doing well," the doctor replied and Devin felt nothing but happiness and relief. "But I do have to inform you that she is in fact allergic to walnuts."

She was relieved that it wasn't a permanent, fatal illness and that she was perfectly healthy. But it still confused her how she could have have an allergic reaction.

"How? I had her taken in to have that allergy test when she was three-"

The doctor raised his hand to cut her off. "Some children don't develop certain allergies until they become older, in this case it was triggered by the walnuts in her food."

She nodded her head slowly, her mind already planning ahead on what she would say to Riley later on when she saw her.

"Could I see her now?"

"Of course," the doctor said then looked over her shoulder at Sid and Asia. "I'm sorry but we're only accepting family members at the moment."

"I understand." Sid replied then got up and hugged Devin. She rested her head on his shoulder and returned the hug. "She's gonna be okay right?"

"Yeah, turns out she had an allergic reaction to some walnuts that she ate."

Sid's brow shot up, his gaze flicked up towards Asia, his expression was one of anger. How could that woman just deliberately ignore the fact that Riley had a food allergy? To him that was careless and cold hearted. She had basically just put Riley's life in danger. A deep bitter feeling settled inside of him as he glared at the brunette.

"Miss Lynn," the doctor spoke up and nodded towards the door.

"Go see her, I'll be right here when you get back." He said and kissed her forehead.

The doctor led her back to her daughter. Riley laid in a bed wearing a small hospital gown that had yellow ducks printed all over it.

"Momma!" She cried and Devin hurried to her side, hugging her very closely.

"Hey baby, you feel okay?" She asked looking down at her, Riley nodded her head.

"I don't like icey cream no more." She said with a frown.

Devin laughed softly and shook her head, "Ice cream is perfectly fine, it's what was on it that's not okay."

From the corner of her eye she saw the doctor walk back into the room, he cleared his throat. "Miss Lynn we would like to hold Riley overnight, just to keep an eye on her."

Devin didn't protest against it, she actually wanted Riley to stay overnight just in case something else happened.

"Yeah, that's fine with me." She said and turned back to Riley. Soon after the doctor had left, a petite nurse came in to check Riley's vitals. She was very proud of Riley for sitting still and letting the nurse do what she had to do. "You are being so brave right now Ry."

"Thank you mommy." She said and laid back on the pillow after the nurse had left. Devin smiled and laid down with her.

————————