Chapter 3

Milan Anderson

"Thanks so much." Shauna dug in her bag for change and I shook my head.

"I got it covered, you're good." I handed her the philly cheese steak that she order and we both sat down, eating in a comfortable silence.

"Milan."

"Hm?"

"Pass me a mayo packet?"

I dug into the bag, handing her the mayo. She grabbed it and I noticed a few red marks around her wrist.

"What happened?" I asked, pointing to her risk. She looked down and quickly pulled her sleeve back down.

"Probably a hair tie I had around my wrist or something." She laughed a little. "So um....how are you liking the job?"

I caught on to her changing the subject and decided to go along with it. "I love it. You're so good at what you do and you make it look so easy. I just can't wait to be done with this internship so I can move up ya know?"

"Thank you. I really love what I do. And just give it time. So how far do you actually want to go?"

"Honestly? I want to be a surgeon. Not sure what type yet, but the human body fascinates me. I mean all the cells we have? And what our body does to keep us healthy is amazing." I felt my cheeks heating up and calmed down a little. I could go on and on about the human body.

Shauna simply laughed at my excitement as we kept eating. A few minutes later, a file was tossed on our desk.

"He's back." She mumbled, rolling her eyes. Our department head was so rude and I could tell she didn't like her job. Shauna nodded and wiped her mouth. We both sanitized our hands as she grabbed the file. I followed behind her into the room and the same man was back again.

"Mr. Alsina? Everything okay?"

He shook his head no and I bit my bottom lip. He honestly looked sick and I wish he would speak up more so we could properly help him.

"Same abdominal pain?"

He nodded his head and she scooted over closer to him.

"Why won't you speak to me?"

"Hurts ta' talk." He coughed a little and he winced in pain. I closed my eyes, cringing because it was as if I could feel his pain as well.

"Well Mr. Alsina, this is your 3rd visit this week. I'm gonna have to give you a few more tests to make sure this isn't anything severe. You okay with that?"

He nodded and Shauna excused herself. I followed behind her.

"I wonder what's wrong with him."

"I think we should give him a basic screening test."

"Actually, give him an x ray." Our department head cut in. She gave me a rude look and Shauna looked at me hesitantly. She began to walk away and I fought the urge to speak up but...

"Why would you give him an x ray?"

I failed.

She turned around and walked back over.

"What was that?"

"X rays are to observe the bones. If he's having trouble breathing I highly doubt his bones are the issue."

I immediately regret speaking up when she steps even closer to me.

"Who are you again?" She says smartly.

"I'm Milan." I say back confidently.

"Oh yeah...the intern?"

"Yes."