Slam - Chapter 47

Waking up in a double bed alone feels strange to me. The spare room's surroundings are unfamiliar, the sheets feel different and there's too much room in this bed.

I wipe my eyes, puffy from my silent tears last night and walk out towards the kitchen, finding the house empty and quiet, but a note was left on the bench.

I've gone out to get some stuff. I'll be back around lunch

- T

I look at the clock and notice he should be back soon, but before he gets here, I want to talk to Kristen. I walk quickly back into the spare room and scramble around for my phone.

"Hello?"

"Kristen, I need to talk to you,"

"Is it about Ja-"

"Yes," I sigh, "Have you seen it?"

"Yes, quite a situation you have yourself in there Zoe,"

"What do I do? I need to fix it,"

"Does Taylor still think you cheated on him?"

"I don't know what he thinks. He didn't speak to me afterwards. He showed me the feature and then for the first time ever, he yelled at me for being careless, and then he said I'll see you tomorrow and walked into our room. And I slept in the spare room,"

"Where is he now?"

"Out,"

"Maybe you should get Jamie to come over and explain,"

"Well that would be good. Having them see him walking into our house,"

"Well, make Taylor answer the door so they see both of them there, or go over to Jamie's hotel. The two of you,"

"But everyone will still think I cheated on him,"

"Well, work on getting your relationship back to what it was, and then work on everyone else's mind,"

"But he won't speak to me!"

"Well, you need to make him. Show him you're set on fixing it,"

"Okay, I will. I'll see you soon," I say and hang up.

I sit with the blanket over my legs waiting for the noises of the door, which I hear about 20 minutes later.

"Taylor?"

"Yeah?"

"We need to talk," I say, trying to make myself sound stronger,

"I have things to do Zoe," He mutters, dropping bags on the kitchen counter,

"One of which is talking to me," I say, leaning onto the counter and staring straight at him.

He pauses and lets out a sigh, slowly turning towards me, letting his eyes take my face in, "Well?"

"I know, no matter how many times I tell you, you're going to have your doubts. But I'm going to tell you anyhow-"

"I-"

"Listen. It doesn't mean what you think it means, not to me and it shouldn't to you. What you saw, is just like you going up to Kristen and kissing her on the cheek. It's no different. So you can either stop talking to me over my best friend kissing my forehead, or you can meet Jamie with me and see for yourself that nothing has or will ever be between us,"

"What are you going to do about the feature? You can't get that out of people's heads,"

"I'm going to get it out of your head first. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I need you to trust me completely first," I say, finishing my sentence and letting out the breath that I held on to, "And reply. I need you to reply to me as well,"

A little smirk, barely visable creeps up on his face and just as quickly leaves, "Fine," He sighs, walking over, closer to me, "But I still want to meet with Jamie and talk to him about it first," He states, hugging me softly, not like his usual strangling hugs,

"Hey come back here," I smile, pointing to my current poisition as he walks back over, trying to hold off his smile again, "That wasn't a hug,"

I know he isn't going to jump towards me like I'm his favourite person, so I do instead.

I slam my self into him and wrap my arms around him, tucking my head into his chest, taking in everything about him that I could.

"I love you,"

He sighs and pauses for a moment, before replying, "I love you too,"