Chapter Twenty

Jake's POV

Wesley breezed past me on my way inside our dorm building. He was humming and wearing revealing clothing that he only took out of his closet when he was planning to get lucky. His hair was slightly rumpled but it wasn't sex hair. "Hey Wes," I said in greeting. "I missed you in class today."

Wesley spun on his heel and smiled brightly at me. "Hi I didn't see you there." He waited for me to fall into step with him before continuing. "I didn't wake up till about an hour ago. I was up late last night."

"I can see that." I pointedly looked over his clothing choice and tugged at a wayward strand of his hair.

"I didn't get lucky," he said moving his head away so his hair slipped from my fingers. "I was hoping something would happen because this guy is hotter than hell during summer vacation, he just wanted to talk and watch movies though. I think I've been relegated to the friend zone." He stuck out his bottom lip and proceeded to sulk until the elevator reached the ground floor and opened to let us on.

"You seem to be a lot happier though." It was good see my friend smiling again and hopefully he was putting those dark feeling behind him. "This guy's friendship seems to be good for you. Should I be jealous," I asked jokingly.

Wesley leaned against the back of the elevator with a tiny smile that seemed permanently attached to his lips. "No, you shouldn't. I want to be more than friends with him but I get the feeling that something's holding him back." He turned to face me. "I think maybe he's been hurt before or something. He's really sweet, and he's a great listener he's practically heard my entire life story but I don't know a lot about him. Oh," he said his eyes lighting up. "His father is Professor Miller."

"Really?" I was thrilled that Wesley had taken to Miller's son, though his attraction to the man could become an issue especially when he found out why the man had befriended him. I really hoped that this wasn't going to make things even worse. 

"Yeah." Wesley sighed and stepped off the elevator at his floor. "He's way hotter than the professor though, and that's not an easy task." He waved and turned to walk down the corridor.

Friday came quickly and I found myself in Gabe's car driving to his mother's house. We passed the journey with eighties music and sang the lyrics badly. I had a pain in my side from laughing and badly needed to go to the bathroom when Gabe finally pulled into a driveway and cut the engine.

I looked up at the two story house and smiled. The house was painted blue/grey with white shutters and a trellis sat to one side of the front door with beautiful red and pink roses interwoven and climbing the wooden frame. More colourful flowers framed the driveway and made a path around the house. It was getting dark though and I couldn't make out what each flower was, or what their colour was.

While I'd been distracted by the scenery before me Gabe had exited the car and came around to open my door for me. I looked up at him in surprise when my door opened then smiled at him and slipped out. I helped him retrieve our bags from the trunk and followed him to the door which opened just as we reached it.

"Gabe!" An older woman stepped out and instantly embraced him. I recognized her, from the family photos that Gabe had shown me, as his mother. 

She had her eyes closed and was squeezing him tightly but all Gabe did was chuckle while holding his arms out to the side with a bag in each hand. "Mom I need to breath."

"Oh." She stepped back and looked lovingly up at him. "I'm sorry I was just so happy to see you."

Gabe dropped both bags and pulled her back into his embrace. "I know." He kissed her cheek. "I'm happy to see you too." He turned keeping one arm around her shoulders and gestured for me to come closer. "Mom this is Jake, my boyfriend."