Chapter Four

Gabe

I don’t know how long I sat there staring at the flowers. All of the other mourners had gone including my immediate family. I sat alone in the white plastic chair staring at funeral flower arrangements and wreaths. My father had been lowered into that claustrophobic rectangle of space in the darkness. We were left behind now to try to carry on with our lives.

After watching the men cover my fathers’ coffin with dirt, I walked numbly back to my car. The drive home to my parents’ house was a blur and I couldn’t remember even making the drive. The house was full of people when I got there. They were talking and eating the food my mother and sisters had prepared. Children were running among the adults, blissfully unaware of the heartache and loss around them.

“Gabriel my dear.” Aunt Rhonda cornered me near the door to the kitchen. “How are you holding up sweetie?”

Why do people always ask how you are after you’ve lost someone? It’s a totally redundant question. Has anyone ever smiled and done a happy dance while saying they were doing great? No! Because it was fucking hell. I spent most of my days trying not to cry and I had a constant ache in my chest. I felt like I was in a dark pit that had no exit. But I did the polite thing and put on my fake smile while I gave her a pat on the arm. “I’ll be okay Aunt Rhonda.” I know the old lady meant well, she was my mothers’ sister and she was trying to show us her support.

I managed to escape my aunt after a few more minutes of idle chit chat and found myself in the back garden. There were a few people milling around but I ignored them and settled myself on one of the porch chairs. Life was a fickle thing. She could take from us just as quickly as she could give. My father had no idea when he woke up that day that it would be his last.

I spent the rest of the day mingling among our family and friends, as I should. I tried to keep my smile in place and stay polite and I saved my tears until I was alone again.

I stayed with my mother until the end of that week and then finally returned home to my cat and my job. Nothing had changed in the two weeks that I’d been away, yet nothing was the same.

***

Jake

I was about to undress for bed when there was a knock at my door. I yawned and contemplated ignoring it. Wesley had gone back to his own room this morning and I finally had the place to myself again.

“Jacob, open the door. I know you’re in there.” Match shouted through the wooden door.

“Match, do you know what time it is?” I growled as I pulled the door open and then stood there scowling at him.

“Take that look off of your face.” He pushed passed me and headed straight for my wardrobe. “Here put these on.” He tossed me my tightest pair of jeans and a gem green t-shirt.

“Match it’s too late for your riddles, what the hell are you talking about? I’m not changing my clothes, I just want to go to bed.”