"How hard is it to cop to the fact that you might feel something for her?"

Jimmy is the funniest guy I've ever met. I just thought I'd tell you that. Every time I encounter the drummer, who is one of Matt's closest friends, he's always making everyone crack up. He knows countless jokes and one-liners that always, always, get everyone cracking up so hard you'd think an explosion was set off. Or perhaps just one of those fart-producers. Jimmy has a few of them lying around. Even here at Matt's parents place.

We've already been here five minutes and Jimmy's already pulling pranks on people. He just got done telling Matt his parents have left and aren't coming back, when Mr Sanders senior pokes his head out of the garage and waves a spanner at us. That's one busted. Jimmy just shrugs and wanders into the garage, which is actually where the guys have set up their studio.

It's jam packed with amps, guitars, Jimmy's first serious drum kit, ProTools rig and an assortment of gear I have no idea what they are. Not that I need to know, all I need to know is that the band is pretty awesome and not to get in the way when they're working. Yeah, totally not connected, obviously.

I'm standing outside by Matt's bike, arms linked together across my breasts. Having never been here before, I'm a little nervous. I can see Matt talking with his Dad, obviously about me, because he nods toward me several times. Straining, I can almost hear what they're saying; I lean forward more.

"You spying on 'em, Val?"

I jerk around fast. Jimmy is leaning against the handlebars of Matt's bike, a cheeky grin on his face. Blinking at him I find I can't answer. My mouth just hangs open in a helpless gesture. He chuckles, not in an unkind manner.

"You want to come inside and wait for him?"

Shaking my head, I find my voice, "No thank you, I'd better just stay here."

Jimmy smiles faintly, before nodding and heading back toward the garage. "See you in there, then." His voice disappears as he does.

I look back across to Matt. He's still with his Dad but he's now looking directly at me. I tilt my head. He smiles and motions for me to join them. Gripping my elbows, I walk over to stand next to him. Matt rests a hand on my shoulder while glancing at his father.

"Dad, I want you to meet Valary." Matt looks to me. "Val, this is my dad."

Lifting my gaze, I find myself peering into warm hazel eyes that are identical to Matt's. His father smiles at me, a soft expression which lights up his whole face.

"Well, hello there, dear. I'm Gary." He smiles more. "Matt's told me, and his mom, a lot about you." He holds a hand out to me. I hesitate, glancing toward Matt. He inclines his head encouragingly toward me. I take Gary's hand; he squeezes mine in a gentle grasp.

I bite my lip, before saying, "It's nice to meet you, sir."

Gary quirks his eyebrows at me. Matt gives a low chuckle. His father shoots a sharp look at him. Matt shrugs and turns away, leaving me with his father. I blink then look at him.

Gary sighs, "Just call me whatever you're comfortable with, Valary. But, I wouldn't mind if you called me 'Gary'." It is my name."

I nod a little, feeling somewhat tongue-tied. He smiles at me, a warm expression. Then he motions toward the studio.

"Go join them. You'll enjoy yourself. They are very good at what they do."

I nod again, as he nudges me through the doorway. Matt looks up from where he's planted himself in front of a large computer monitor. He smiles and grabs a stool, pulling it next to him, and patting a hand on it.