"Help me get her back."

"Where're you going?"

Michelle paused at the front door and looked back as Matt appeared in the kitchen doorway. He and Brian had been sitting in there discussing some lyrics while she was rushing around cleaning. She'd had enough though and decided she needed to get out of the house.

She frowned slightly. "I'm going out, why?"

"No reason." Matt rubbed at the side of his head, before he said, "Could you do me a favour?"

Michelle's brows drew together. "Depends."

"It's not a big deal..."

"What is it?"

"Check up on Val for me?" Matt kept rubbing at his head.

Michelle noted the anxious expression in the big man's eyes. It wasn't obvious, but she'd known him long enough to be able to read his face. It surprised her a little that he would ask her, considering their past. Still he was probably thinking more of Val than what he thought of her. He definitely cared more about her twin than he had ever done anyone else.

She nodded. "Sure, I can do that. Was thinking I'd maybe drop in to see her anyway, since you're here."

"Thanks." The worried look subsided from Matt's features. "I just don't like that she's there by herself."

Michelle snorted, unable to help herself, "Why didn't you make her come then?"

"Because I'm not an asshole, Michelle," he snapped before he turned and stalked back into the kitchen. She followed him and stopped as he leaned against the kitchen bench, glaring at her.

Michelle sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that, Matt."

He folded his arms, his brow furrowed. "I know," he conceded in a low tone. "I'm just worried about her. After what happened this morning, with your parents, and everything."

Brian, who was seated at the kitchen table, looked over and added, as he had heard the conversation through the doorway, "If you're going over there, you should apologise to her, Chelle."

Michelle gave her fiancée a look. "I know, Bri." She turned to grab her purse where it was lying next to the coffee pot. She went through it, looking for her keys. "Is there anything else you wanted me to check while I'm there, Matt?" She didn't look at him while she asked; knowing if she did it would throw her off.

Matt shrugged, "Val's pretty good with Bella and shit, so no...just make sure your sister's okay."

Michelle nodded. "Okay, well, I'll be back soon."

Brian got up and walked over to her; she leaned into him as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Take as long as you need," he murmured into her hair. She nodded, squeezing his bicep. Then she moved away from him, giving Matt a nod before heading out.

* * * * *

Matt yawned, his jaw cracking a little as he settled back against his chair. Brian looked up at him from the notebook that was opened in front of him.

"Time to call it a night?" he asked, his own voice hoarse.

Matt stretched his arms above his head then crossed them on the table, resting his chin against them. He nodded, his eyelids drooping a little.

"What time is it?"

"Just past nine," Brian mumbled as he shut the book and rocked back on his chair.