"Y'know, sometimes you're not as dumb as you act."

"Valary...Valary...Valary...Vaal...wake up!"

Someone is poking me in the side of my head. I groan in protest, rolling over, wishing they'd just let me alone, I'm very comfortable here in...thud.

"Hey...don't fall off the stool, Valary..."

Too late. I blink and find myself staring up into Jimmy's stunning blue gaze. "Uh...hi? What happened?"

Jimmy smirks, not unkindly. "You fell asleep back here...getting bored, already?" He tilts his head at me, and then makes to poke me again. I hold my hands up and back into the corner.

"Stop, please...I'm awake..." A soft giggle slips past my lips. He grins at me, blue eyes sparkling.

"Good. 'Cause someone wants to meet you."

I frown; if he means the guitar tech, I'm not really sure I want to put myself anywhere near him. I still have this niggling thought that he is the same guy from the mall, and if he is then I don't know whether that should scare me, or not. I don't easily trust people...particularly if they seem suspicious. Like Jason Denmore. If that's even his real name.

Jimmy waves his hand in front of my face, drawing my attention back to him. "Val, you still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry...just thinking..."

"Well, stop thinking and come meet Denny."

Gee that was quick...he's already got a nickname for him... "Uh...well does..."

"Does Matt know? Yeah, he's over with him. Don't worry, he's not gonna bite you." Jimmy leans in close, squinting at me, and then it's as if something seems to dawn on him. "Hey, you're not scared are you? We're all here, we'd never let anything happen. I mean, you heard Matt before, right? He'd stick up for you, no fucking worries."

I look away, biting at my bottom lip. I find I do that a lot these days. After a moment, I give a slight nod.

"Okay...but, uh...why would he want to meet me, anyway?" I know, I'm acting all reluctant, but it's just a habit, for the sake of self-preservation. It pays to be cautious, and to know what's going on. Always.

Jimmy rolls his eyes and holds his hand out to me. "Because he's being friendly."

Yeah, right. He just wants to be a sticky-beak. But, I guess I should give him a chance. I mean, if Matt's over there with him, it can't hurt, can it? But, then Matt doesn't know that the guy is who I think he is...because he wasn't at the mall with us. He's just suspicious because he has some kind of intuition about him. Well, if I go over there...the truth will most likely out. And maybe that will make all of this a lot easier.

I sigh, finally taking hold of Jimmy's hand. He grins as he tugs me from the corner over to where the guys are lounging in front of the computer. Matt is the first to look up; a tight expression dominates his face. He isn't comfortable with the situation, but he doesn't say anything. He just nods to me and glances at the others. Brian lifts a hand; Zacky grins, but I don't have eyes for them.

Time seems to freeze as my gaze settles upon the man sitting between the two guitarists. Deep black eyes stare at me from beneath the peak of a ball cap. His gaze seems all-knowing as if he can look into my soul and figure me out with a single glance.

Yep. It's definitely him. I'd recognise those eyes anywhere. I mean, sure...I've only met him once, but sometimes it's the ones you meet just in a single fleeting moment that imprint on your memory the strongest. And, at any rate, his eyes are so damn intense it feels like he's drilling a hole into you when he focuses his gaze in your direction.