"Because it isn't enough."

Robert shook his head glowering at the documentation in front of him. JD leaned over and prodded at the top file.

"We have everything we need, why do you look like someone vomited all over your favourite shirt?"

"Because it isn't enough." Rob braced his elbows against the desk that he was seated at. JD observed his partner in crime with a scowl. Rob glared at him, anger in his eyes. "Would that it were. We can't hope to pin shit on the Guild if we don't have the right information."

"So, what do we do?"

"We need concrete proof."

JD blinked. "Such as?"

Robert sighed and looked at him hard. "You think you could talk Sanders into bringing Val in with him?"

"Jesus, no," he groaned. "What the fuck're you thinking? We can't drag them through the mud like that. And we can't bring them here. It'll jeopardise the case."

The other male growled, "Then what do you propose we do? I would think using them would work in our favour."

"You do remember he hates you."

"Yes, but you could convince him."

JD started to shake his head. "I couldn't do that. He wouldn't trust me again and y'know that'd fuck up our working relationship."

"Yeah? How's that doing?" Robert glanced askance at his friend, noting the flush to his cheeks. He knew that JD was enjoying the whole music tech thing. It was actually doing him some good. Made him a lot more pleasant to work with.

JD smirked. "Pretty good, spent the afternoon working through tracks." He shrugged. "It's been a learning curve."

"I bet. But, you gotta focus on this. And I know I'm right. Bring them in." Robert's voice hardened on the last words his expression letting the other man know he wouldn't budge on it.

JD relented with a sigh and pulled out his phone to make the call.

* * * * *

Matt frowned as he hung up with JD and glowered at the ceiling above him. He and Val were curled up in the living room, watching some random music channel. He hadn't been expecting any calls as they'd arrived back from the studio about an hour ago and were winding down for the night. No one ever called so late, usually. Except JD.

He sighed a little, trying not to make it too obvious. But, Val who was ever vigilant glanced up at him an anxious look appearing on her face.

"Matt?" She was still not quite used to using his name when addressing him, but he could tell it was becoming easier because the usual edge wasn't there.

He shook his head and crossed his arms, jaw clenching hard. He was too shocked by the audacity of the other male to explain what he was thinking to her. But then he noticed the way Val seemed to shrink back and realised he must have been glaring at her. He rubbed at his face and groaned.

"Fuck, Val...it was JD." Matt squeezed her around the waist then pushed to his feet and looked down at her, eyes dark. She gazed up at him the trust in her expression so clear, so filled with guile that he knew he had to be completely honest with her. "He wants me to bring you down to the Guild." He paused, gauging her response.

Val swallowed hard and shook her head slowly. "No...I can't go back there...I..." Her voice faltered and she wrapped her arms around herself, beginning to tremble. Matthew frowned and sat next to her again, pulling her into his arms. "I can't," she whispered into his chest. He stroked a palm over her back gently.