1st

d a t e first,

                                                                                          b e f r i e n d next

Remy woke up hungover by the side of his bed with his feet sprawled over a mountain of dirty laundry. Groaning, and so very annoyed, he tried desperately not to let last night's cacophony come rushing back. Eyes closed, he sat up scratching his bare chest, already unbelievably angsty about the day ahead. 

"Bro," the sound of the door opening made him peek from his under his lashes at the intruder. "I've got a class. You got the keys?"

He couldn't even find the energy to nod. Eddie took a second to take in his appearance before whistling mockingly. "Which girl did this number on you?"

Thinking of her made his head hurt further. Had he had that much wine last night? God, he wanted to crawl under a rock and bomb the rest of the world. How had he tanked so badly with this girl, and why now? 

"Let's not talk about it."

"That hot, ay?"

Not really, no. She wasn't hot, per se. She wasn't even really all that outstanding to look at. Sitting in the library almost a week ago looking like she didn't give a care in the world, the image burned into memory for eternity now, was the woman who'd ruthlessly turned him into a lovesick sap of a player. Before her he hadn't really been able to tell how easy women made it for him, like they were literally begging him to be theirs. And they were hot, he could give that in writing if asked.

"I'm going to back to bed."

"Skipping first hour?"

As he landed into his pillow he wondered if Mr. Lacker even knew his name after almost two years of college. That got him thinking... he hadn't known her name until a week ago. What was to say any of the girls he went out with even found him worth remembering? 

"I'll be there after lunch."

"A'right. I'm off."

He grunted in response, felt unhappiness seeping through the rest of his day already. As if it hadn't been bad enough to wake up with throbbing like nobody's business. As if it hadn't been enough that the librarian, of all people, had made him feel like white trash. Rich, but white trash, nonetheless.

“Not in this lifetime, Remington.”

She was snooty, and un-pretty, and not at all his type. Suddenly, his mother looked to be more than right about his behaviour. Maybe he had some kind of psychological disorder. Maybe this was his kryptonite, having to date every girl he found the least bit interesting. Who was to say one of them wouldn't come back to shoot him in his sleep was beyond him, as he let a sigh escape as he eyed the beach over the balcony railing. The waves calmed him, sparkling blue and roaring through the distance and in more ways than one, he hoped he could put the disaster behind him and forget the whole ordeal.

Maybe, if he was lucky, he'd forget about it by the end of the day.

Actually, if he was really lucky, she'd forget about him altogether.

He had to snort at that. As if anyone, any girl, in particular, could forget Remington Howsham.

So, he skipped the first half of the day, as he had told Eddie. Roommates or not, that man knew Remy like the back of his hand. Sometimes, it wasn't altogether a good thing. Sometimes, it was a necessary evil.