16th

sickly sweet sixteen

un-happy deaths

"Is it weird that I have no friends?"

Maddie looked at him then. "Is that why you're crashing girls' night?"

"No... maybe."

"Oh, Rem."

"No pity, alright? I just..." he looked over to where Athenia sat, her hair giving her away. "I just want friends like Athenia in my life. Like what you and her have."

"Well, not to break your heart, but if you already don't have them, you're probably never going to find them."

"Really?"

"Who knows?"

"Order 34 up!"

"It's just..." he trailed off as the two of them walked back to the table, their pace deliberately slow.”I don't know what to do. It makes me feel like a loser."

"I thought you were popular."

"I thought so too."

"I guess popular doesn't always mean you have good friends, huh?" Maddie shrugged at that. "Who knew?"

Shoulders slumped, Remy felt like shit. "Do you think it's me?"

Maddie stopped then. "What do you mean?"

"Do you think there's something wrong with me? I... don't like anyone. I looked through my contacts' list and racked my head for one person I liked. Just one. Someone who I could tolerate and would tolerate me in return. Someone who didn't care how much money I didn't have any more, someone who liked me.

"I'm literally looking for someone, anyone, who didn't hang out with me because they thought they'd get a good time out of me. I'm just... it's that fucked up now. I hate it. I hate how I was."

"I like you." She told him honestly. "I think Thee does too. Does that help?"

"No." He blatantly told her, his eyes defiant, his tone offensive. "It doesn't help. You're girls. You... I don't know. I hate this. I feel like shit. Here," he gave her the tray. "Tell Ath I'll see her back at home."

"Hey," he heard Athenia's voice as he drifted in and out of sleep, soft hands on his face, in his hair. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm, sorry about dinner."

"That's okay."

Feeling lonelier than ever before, he felt her lips on his face, her voice soothing as she said what she did next.

"You're not alone, Rem," he pulled away the covers to look at her face, a smile in place. "You're with me, remember?"

It's not the same. It doesn't matter if I'm with you.

You... nothing's forever.

This isn't forever. 

"Sorry, Ath."

"It's okay."