12th

t w e l v e

         i

         t

         t

         l

      secrets

"We're out of shampoo."

Remy said it like it was a good thing. "You sound too happy about it." Athenia commented dryly whilst doing her crossword puzzle. "Should I alert the media?"

He hopped about the studio with his hands in his pockets, plopping onto the sofa next to her. "I am happy. This means we get to pick shampoo I might like."

She looked into dull eyes that were shielded by wet, curly hair. Brushing through her own, a little wary of what she must look like, sitting there in her Hello Kitty PJs (a gag gift from Maddie, of course), as the pen in her hand lingered on 14 Across a little too long. "Alright. When should we go?"

"What're we doing now?" he shrugged, slapping his hands on his jeans, standing strong and stretching tall. "Come on."

"I'm not paying for junk food, Rem."

His grin was extremely off putting. "Turns out I've got some cash saved up for that."

Walking through the aisles with him felt effortless, as if they had done this before. For a long fifteen minutes while she bought the absolute necessities, Remy disappeared. Her flannel pants brushed the floor as she observed that her sandals were practically falling apart. She needed new shoes. She would have to rope Maddie into making a trip down to the store.

"Alright," he sounded like he was out of breath, heaving something heavy into the cart. When she looked at him in shock, he looked at her with a mirrored expression. "What, that's it? That's all you need?"

"Generally, yes."

He clucked his tongue, that mongrel. "It's almost like you think you still live alone."

Two weeks later, Athenia didn't tell herself that anymore. True, at first it was strange to have someone else knock on the door asking for access into a space she called her own for two good years. Sure, before that she lived with the biggest of families, rooms filled with people, with family. Now, with Remy, with just one meagre boy, she found it hard to ever imagine having lived alone. Was it that different, having one more person share your area? 

"We need to get you a key."

"Awesome." He didn't sound happy or excited. Just like it was long coming. "We'll drop by the key place. I know one near campus."

She nodded but he was busy, what with the cart of goodies he needed to bill and pay for. Smiling, she went over to the women's personal hygiene section (yes, that's what Remy called it) and brought the necessities over to the counter while he billed his can of pringles, candy and all other kinds of treats she hadn't really known. "Let me pay for my stuff," she started when he cut her off.

"You've got like one measly jar of olives and a freaking tampon box. Let me do this." He didn't look at her, brushing through his hair, smiling away at his junk. "It's like three dollars worth."

"Okay," she sounded unsure. "Thanks."

"No problem."

Walking back to the car the two took slow, easy steps, one at a time, each second passing with immense leisure. As the sun grazed the highest skies, Athenia realized something was inevitable, unwilling to address but knowing she had to mention it.