18th

the eighteenth reason

Athenia put one dish into the washer, then the next.

"I'm going to fucking kill you."

"I'm going to fucking watch you try, Remington!"

She wiped a bowl clean, then a spoon and then proceeded to put them away. She had a bundle of clothes she needed washing, and so many books she needed to get down to reading. 

Where was all the time going?

"Fucking... you fucking cheated!"

"I did fucking not! You're just too much of a guy to accept that!"

"Cheat!"

"Pussy!"

She sat on her bed, opened a random book and started reading.

"I am going to kill you in your sleep tonight, Maddie."

"I'd like to see you try."

Exactly sixty six pages of The British Rule later, Maddie walked over to the other side of the bed and crashed on it. 

"Good night," she mumbled before turning away from her. 

"Good night, Maddie."

Remy came to Athenia's bedside after he used the bathroom, wondering why the apartment was so quiet.

"Ath?" he looked over at Maddie then, sound asleep. He didn't really spend too much time on her though.

His hands went to her hair almost immediately, the brown of it almost red in the dim light, so soft and silky as she shifted.

"Rem?"

"I like your hair open," he whispered to her as she peered at him through sleepy eyes. "Why don't you ever leave it open?"

"I don't know. It's a habit."

"A bad one." 

"Hmm," she closed her eyes at the feel of his hands in her tangled locks. "Good night, Remy."

"Good night."

It was Maddie who woke him early the next morning, or late that night. He couldn't really tell.

"She's never going to, I hope you know that..." she trailed off. Remy could barely understand what she was saying. "Thee's not going to be that easy."

"What the fuck are you going on about? Get the fuck off of my couch. It's only got place for one fat ass, and that's mine."

"Rem," she spoke sternly, finally gaining his attention. "Just listen to me, okay? Thee is not... she's not looking for guys."

"I know that."

"That date was a onetime thing. Trust me."

"Okay, Maddie."

"I'm just looking out for you, alright? Don't say I didn't tell you."

For some reason, it sounded so much like a warning. Nobody would be surprised if Remy told them how her words had kept him up till it was time to get dressed.