epilogue

Epilogue

The First Date

“Why must you date them all, Remy?” his mother’s words rang in his ears as he leaned over the librarian’s desk and smiled. How did it matter what his mother thought? What did she know?

“Are you busy tonight?” he laid on his smoothest line. “Because I was just over there looking at you and I thought you were the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen.”

Her eyes narrowed into a glare rather than a flush. Boy, this wasn’t a good sign.

“Really?” her tone was sarcastic, caustic, even.

“You are beautiful, of course. We must go out. Can I have your number?”

She didn’t look like she was fully convinced, but he was sure he’d done the job right. “I can’t. It’ll be disastrous.”

“What harm could one date do?” he asked. Then, her eyes lifted.

“One date it is. I’ll see you there.”

“Tonight.” He told her with a grin. “At La Bella.”

“Sounds good.”

“It’s going to be great.”

“Thanks for coming,” he told her as they were seated. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you, but isn’t that line getting a little bit old?”

He didn’t let her faze him. Girls did this tough thing all the time. “Would you like some wine?” he changed the subject.

“I don’t like wine. I’ll have some iced tea.”

“But the wine here is exquisite.” He assured her with a grin. “Best in the country.”

“I insist,” she told him. “I wouldn’t care for the wine one bit.”

“Women love white wine!”

“Not this woman, I’m afraid.” She said politely.

Remy mentally struck off the drinking angle.

“Maybe you’d like some oysters.”

“I hate oysters.”

He looked at her blankly. “What woman hates oysters?”

An eyebrow cocked up. “Excuse me?”

“Uh, I mean...”

“I think I understood perfectly what you meant.”

A cross against the oysters angle, too.

“You seem to know a lot about libraries,” he tried then, right before dessert. “Tell me about your job.”

“It’s a library.” She told him quietly. “Haven’t you been inside?”

“A couple of times.”

“In 2013?”

He stared blankly.

“You’ve been in a library a couple of times... in your life?”

Remy wanted to lie, but he knew he was done. “Just because you’ve got four eyes doesn’t make you some kind of scholar.”

“The better to see you with, apparently.”

She called for the bill and paid for it before he could.

The ultimate slap in his face. This was, officially, the worst first date ever.

“I don’t get it,” he told her as he walked her to the door, praying to God he’d get this right. “Every girl loves going up there and having wine and oysters.”

“Maybe you need to try something new.” She told him without expression. “Maybe you’ve been... overdoing it, just a little.”

“Girls love me!” he tried to assure her, and himself. “This... just hasn’t happened before.”

She shrugged gently before walking into her studio. “I told you this would happen.”

“You didn’t give me a fair chance,” he tried to add in. “One more date.”

She laughed. “Not in this lifetime, Remington.”

“Stop calling me that!” he almost screamed. Almost. “Come on. What would one more date do?”

“I think it’ll take me a while to get over this one, Remington.” She rolled her eyes before shutting the door in his face, thankfully ending the disaster that was this night and hopefully, wouldn’t ever need to see him again.

/Finally, after God knows how many months, this story is finally done with. I'd love to hear what you thought. Do jot down your thoughts in the comments and tell me!

I'd like to thank my best friend, Annie_K and all the other readers who took out time to read this short story. Of course, it's now close to fifty thousand words and hopefully, spreads the word that not all women enjoy a good date without good conversation.

Thank you for reading so far. Thank you for voting. Thank you all for your kind words.

Dawn/