10th

t e n 

places

Athenia liked to have things in their place. Sure as that was, and as obvious as it was, Remy wanted to break every glass surface in the library trying to please his boss of a librarian. Well, at least the boy tried.

Sitting there watching him argue with yet another random kid made her wonder if this was what it was, to be a bystander. To simply watch and have nothing to do, nothing to touch.

Where she came from, things were so very different. Even now as she sat here on this desk, the clouds outside hiding the sun into dark, dreary skies, her mind wandered back home, to ethnic walls and severely underestimated intelligence. They didn't speak English, sure, and they didn't want her to ever feel out place, either. But she did. She never felt at home.

She supposed it was how every adopted child felt at the end of the day.

"Can you get yourself here and help a guy out?" he pointed a finger in her direction, her daydreaming coming to a definite end with the tone of his words processing somewhere at the back of her mind. "This kid's insane. She borrowed a book freaking two years ago and didn't bother coming back till today."

She laughed. "Can't harrass the girl into paying, though. Come over here and tell me your story, hon."

The girl sauntered over, short and uneasy, her pigtails an absolute abomination. Well, Remy thought so. Athenia didn't care if her hair was tied into whips. Not when the book in her hand was what it was.

"This is a first edition," Athenia started softly. "I doubt whoever was here last gave it away for borrowing."

"I may have borrowed it without record."

"You and that sixties hairstyle. Listen, we're not allowed to say anything." Remy pointed upstairs, his eyes filled with abundant judgments. "You're gonna have to take this up with administration."

"Oh, come on. The book's still in pristine condition."

Her eyes narrowed. "I can see that tear, clear as day."

"Can't we negotiate this?"

"Not when you borrowed a book and levied it up to a million dollars worth of fine!"

Athenia eyed Remy, her wondering thoughts turning foul. "That's enough, Remington."

"She fucking stole a book, Ath!"

"That aside, she's brought it back." Athenia met doe brown eyes without judgment. "Let's deal this tomorrow with the admins. Bring the book and your case. Make a good one."

The girl sighed but didn't fight the verdict. When she was a good six feet away, Athenia frowned heavily. "You're acting like she committed a sin."

"She brought a book late!"

"You come late everyday. I don't take it upstairs, do I?"

"That's different." Remy turned indignant and proud as he turned to face her. "I don't come in to work two years late."

When she didn't respond, he slumped onto her desk sloppily, making her frown deeper.

"If I do, you're welcome to fire me on the spot."

Her eyes narrowed into tiny slits. "Hand me a gun and we'll fire away right this instant."

She assumed he didn't pay attention, but he did. To her moods, to the sunsets and sunrises, to the way her toes curled when she smelled a new book, to how she yawned when she was really, really tired. Not to mock him, no, but to sound off that she was exhausted.