8th

the 

     eighth

q u e s t i o n

Monday

After an entire day apart, Remy kind of felt disoriented. Athenia looked... familiar. Like he'd been seeing her a little too much. Like he'd been spending too much time wondering what horrendous task she'd have him do next.

"We'll shift the shelves to the end of the wall to make more space." She told him as she adjusted her glasses. "We've got too many ruffians on the second floor nowadays."

Remy didn't hesitate before making his comment on the matter. "Make out too much for your taste, do they?"

"They're children! They should be studying, not... canoodling in dark corners."

Remy scoffed. "Is that what they taught you back in school?"

"That's what they teach everyone in school."

"Not in mine."

Athenia looked unconvinced, but he was sure he could get her to bite. "I don't believe you," she huffed in his general direction as he placed the books away. "they don't just tell kids they can make out wherever they feel like it. They're impressionable children with parents!"

"Well, at least they know what they're doing before they're doing it."

She didn't answer, which had him looking at her. 

"What?" he asked. "You didn't get the talk."

She looked a little dazed. "I... I went to school right here. I don't-- I must have--"

"Yeah," he snidely told her. "you must have missed the only day that's worth being present in school."

"What do they tell you, exactly?"

Remy didn't look at her for fear of laughing in her face. Instead, he focused on the books he put back and how many copies of them were yet to return. "Oh, they have videos."

"Videos!"

He dared to look at her astonished face. He couldn't help it. He had to grin. "Yup."

She didn't press on the matter but walked away quietly, her footsteps heavy with the disappointment of an entire childhood being a lie. Well, he hadn't been fibbing, in any case. Kids did what they wanted to do, and he'd himself been witness to his first kiss at eleven! Looking back at her disheleved form he had to wonder about hers, though. He shivered at the thought. He was scared to ask.

Tuesday

"I won't be coming in today."

Shuffle. Shift. "Why the hell not?"

Cough. "I'm..." Cough. Cough. "Sick."

"Remington, I know when you're lying to me."

No. She didn't. She really, really didn't. "I'm not lying to you."

Sigh. "If you don't come in tonight, I'll have to make a record of it."

Silence. "I'll be there."

"Okay."

Athenia narrowed her eyes as Remy walked in, her eyes immediately on his left cheek. She didn't it was possible to further narrow her eyes at the mark. 

"Sorry I'm late." He told her with a smile. "I had some assignments to do."

"You could've done them here." Her voice remained plain and with a terrifying tone behind it. "That's why kids come to the library."