11th

you owe me

e l e v e n

howls & scowls

He woke thinking of lepord printed silks and satins, of women he had touched in the past, to a blue, blue sunrise, one that filtered through the curtains into his new home. Stretching, eyes closed, hands reaching into his pockets, Remy tried to memorize the ache in his legs, the stretch in his back he hadn't known in a long time.

So this was what sleeping on the couch felt like.

"Get up," he heard her voice many minute dreams later. Had he fallen asleep again? Now the sun was rusty red and pushed harshly into his sleepy state. "You'll make us both late."

A second passed, then a long, much needed yawn. "We don't have to go together." Groggy, a little sleep deprived, he wondered why his stomach was grumbling so very angrily. Hadn't he eaten last night? Oh, no, no, he hadn't. Burning knuckles reminded him of a night gone bad. 

Athenia cluttered vessels so very early, a groan erupting from the couch in dismay. "Keep it down, will you?"

"Can't. I'm going to work, whether or not you intend to come with."

She was extremely active for a roommate. That just wouldn't do, not for a permanent disposition. 

"I need to use the bathroom," he muttered softly, angrily. This wouldn't have happened if not for Eddie. Thinking back to the night he wondered why he hadn't gone to one of his other friends' houses. One of his rich buddies who would've sorted out most of his issues, including this pressing one he had with his mother. "Please tell me it's not filled with girly shit."

"I'm a girl. I, apparently, have shit." She sounded rushed. "When you come into the library, don't expect me to cut you any slack."

Grumbling, he shut the door behind him, fumbling with the unfamiliar lock. Sighing against the door, slumping onto it quite tiredly, Remy thought of his options. Staring into the mirror that lay on the wall to his right, he wondered if his eyes had looked this weary before. Dark hair stood on ends as if he had rolled around on the floor all night. Yawning once more, he got to work with the toothpaste. Deciding to push brushing after breakfast, he got out of the loo into the empty apartment, finally getting to see it in a brighter light.

Purple, he registered dully, and white. Everywhere. Like an explosion on a canvas, only on every wall, his head tilted to the ceiling, his brows rising. She didn't even leave out the ceiling.

That's kind of how he knew this was her apartment. The ceiling, the intricate purple of it, how she hadn't managed to leave it out. Smiling, he grabbed a piece of bread, stuffed into his shorts while simultaneously chewing through a second piece. When he strapped on his shoes, the couch squeaked as he got off of it.

Looking back at it, he scowled. "You can't quit on me. You're all I have."

Flatly, the couch responded with silence.

Uncaring, and quite tired and hungry still, he made his way out the door, wishing he had never fought with Eddie, wishing Tamara had the sense to keep her paws to herself.

It was official. He was swearing off of women. All ages, all sizes, all races... especially since he was going to be living with one now.

At work, Athenia was her usual up-her-ass there's-that-stick self. Truth be told he was thankful for the little bit he had of his previous life. First his mother cuts him off, then he gets kicked out of his apartment, and now, he told himself ruefully, his hands itching to grab onto a cup of coffee as he passed the cafeteria from the library, he was living in Athenia's loser apartment.