Nineteen

Ben's POV:

Do you know what cognitive dissonance is? When you start doing things that aren't in line with what you believe in and how you view yourself, so you sort of make up excuses or give reasons as to why it's okay that you're doing these "wrong" things. Rider's right, man. That's why I go to him because I know he'll always tell me things straight up, exactly as they are. He makes me think and now I've thought myself into cognitive dissonance. I think I really do want Danielle... I think. But I'm not that kind of guy to go after a married girl. Plus I respect her way too much for that. I'm just trying to decide if it's okay to finally want something questionably good to happen for myself. How about this compromise? We push a couple boundaries to test the waters, and see where it goes from there. Keep expectations low and an innocent smile on my face.

-------------------------------------------

*Ben gets to set early hoping to have some time to hang with Danielle before filming*

*Other cast and crew start arriving*

Peyton: "You're here early. Meeting someone for a date?"  *Peyton does the teasing double eyebrow raise*

Ben: "Actually both coffees are for myself, thank you very much."

Peyton: "You've either had a long night or a long morning."

Ben: "A bit of both. Where are you headed?"

Peyton: "Wardrobe. Did you already grab your stuff for today?"

Ben: "Nope so let's go do that."

*Ben sighs a little disappointedly as he follows Peyton to wardrobe*

Peyton: "I'm dying for the day they dress you in baggy hoodies again for an episode."

Ben: "Okay ya know what? Cory may not have learned too much over the years but I'd like to think he's developed at least a decent sense of style."

Peyton: "It's all Topanga. She dresses to impress. Can't have her hubby dress like a 90s bum now, can she?"

Ben: "Hey at least I was alive in the 90s! Where is Danielle anyway? Have you seen her? She's never late."

Peyton: "Touche, my friend. No I haven't. I'll meet you out on set though."

*Peyton leaves and Ben grabs his wardrobe items and goes looking for Danielle*

*He catches her just as she walks in the door*

Ben: "Good thing I'm not your teacher because I'd have to mark ya truant."

Danielle: "Oh shut it Ben."

Ben: "It's okay, don't worry, I'll give you a free pass this time. No detention."

Danielle: "I'm not sure if you see what's going on here, but this isn't banter this time. I told you to come find me when you grew up a bit."

Ben: "...What the hell is wrong with you? What happened?"

Danielle: "I'm still mad at you if you couldn't tell."

Ben: "Okay well just-"

Danielle: "Sorry, can't talk. Since I'm 'truant', I have to go get ready for filming."

*Danielle walks off and leaves Ben feeling bitter*

*He follows after her to her change room*

Ben: "I don't know what's going on with you, but I don't appreciate all that hostility towards me."

Danielle: "How many times do you want me to say it Ben? Grow up! We're not kids anymore. We're adults, so start acting like one."

Ben: "It's been you and me ever since I can remember. The playful banter is who we've always been. Sorry I didn't get the memo that it wasn't allowed anymore."

Danielle: "We're co-workers, Ben. That's it. We smile for the camera and create the illusion of a fairytale that everyone wants to believe."

Ben: "So that's all we are now? Why did you even come back then, Danielle? This is exactly why I didn't want a reboot because in a matter of time it would come crashing down!"

Danielle: "You're making this a bigger deal than it has to be. Ben and Danielle have problems; Cory and Topanga don't. That's what we're here to do."

Ben: "No, actually. Our characters wouldn't be who they are if we weren't who we are. If you're done with me, then I have a problem with that and I'm out."

Danielle: "Good. You can start by getting out of my change room."

*Ben leaves and slams the door*

Ben: "Michael, wherever you are, I'm done for the day! Postpone filming, write my scenes out, heck, fire me if you want! I'm leaving!"

*Everyoneis staring at Ben as he throws his wardrobe stuff over to the side, grabs hisjacket and walks out the door*