Twenty-Six

~At Sabrina's movie premier~

Ben: "I swear I'm looking worse and worse in every picture being taken."

Rowan: "It's probably because you're old."

Ben: "Hey! You'll get there some day too, okay? That pretty face won't last forever."

*Peyton sneaks up behind Ben and grabs his shoulders*

Peyton: "What are you two arguing about now?!"

Rowan: "Ben's having a midlife crisis."

Ben: "Oh honey you don't even know."

Peyton: "Okay come then. Row come here. Let's take a good picture since we're all dressed up."

*Ben pretends to slick back his hair as Peyton gets someone to take the photo*

*Peyton comes back and stands beside Rowan, putting his arm around her*

Ben: "Oh no no no. Separate, you two. Dad goes in the middle."

Rowan: "Seriously, you're making yourself sound like an old man."

*Ben chuckles and squeezes in between Rowan and Peyton, putting his arms around either of them as they take the picture*

*Afterwards they walk over to where Sabrina is*

Ben: "How are you not tired of taking pictures?"

Rowan: "Oh my god, he won't stop complaining about the damn pictures."

*Sabrina laughs*

Ben: "Maybe I would be less of a cranky old man if I was wearing a snazzy dress like that."

Sabrina: "I think we could arrange that."

Peyton: "Don't feed his midlife crisis."

Sabrina: "And what exactly is his crisis? Danielle?"

*Ben throws his arms up*

Ben: "That's it, I'm leaving your party!"

Sabrina: "Nooo Ben I was just teasing!"

Ben: "You guys bully me so much. Why don't you put all that effort into keeping me young and youthful?"

Sabrina: "You've got a baby face Ben."

*She claps him on the cheeks*

*Ben laughs and shakes his head*

Ben: "Well I'm going to head out anyways, but congrats again darling. You look stunning and this night is all for you."

*Sabrina blushes*

Sabrina: "You're the best. Try and find Danielle, will ya? I missed her tonight. Wish she were here.

Ben: "Me too. I'll give her a call!"

*Ben gives her a big hug and says bye to the others before leaving*

*Ben calls Danielle on his way out but she doesn't answer so he leaves a voicemail*

Ben: "Hey it's me. I've had a couple drinks so I'm taking a cab, and it's coming to your place so you better be home. See you soon."

*Ben hails a cab and gets a ride over to Danielle's*

*He knocks on her door but she doesn't answer, so he tries the special knock but still no answer*

*Ben calls her again*

Danielle: "Hello?"

Ben: "Let me in."

Danielle: "Where are you?"

Ben: "Standing outside your door."

Danielle: "Okay well give me ten minutes."

Ben: "I'll try. I'm a little tipsy so if you hear someone fall..."

Danielle: "Fantastic. Hold on."

*Danielle hangs up and Ben waits outside*

*Danielle eventually opens the door and invites Ben in*

Danielle: "Oh shit. You're dressed up all nice and I'm in sweats."

Ben: "I just came from Sabrina's premier."

Danielle: "Oh yeah... how was that?"

Ben: "Great! Lots of fun actually. I sort of got tired of posing for pictures but it would have been nice if I had you on my arm."

Danielle: "Yeah I'm sorry I wasn't there."

Ben: "Is something wrong? You don't seem your upbeat self."

Danielle: "Meh. Just on my period."

Ben: "...Ick. That's no fun. You would have had a great time with us tonight."

Danielle: "Ben I just wasn't up to it okay, I'm sorry."

*Ben throws his hands up in defense*

Ben: "Woah. I was just saying."

Danielle: "Well don't. I already feel shitty about it, and everyone is going to see the pictures and gossip about why I wasn't there, so don't make me feel worse."

Ben: "I think I should leave then, before I say something worse."

Danielle: "I'm sorry Ben. I'd just rather be alone."

Ben's POV:

If anyone can tell me what the hell is going on, I'd really appreciate that. I don't understand women. Danielle and I were so great. She wanted a friends-with-benefits relationship with me and that's what I'm trying to do but now she's acting all weird again. I know she has personal stuff going on - I know, and I get that. But she's still part of our Boy Meets World - Girl Meets World family and I just wish she came out with us to interviews and events. I wish she was a bit more upfront with me too. Please tell me where this is going. My life has always just been endless questions.