Chapter 21: Redacted

You walk through Waterfall once again, passing several monsters you've met before especially Temmie who seems more hyper than usual, but now you've taken a turn off at the turtle vendor. You remember Papyrus talking about the taxi so you thought you should at least see who this person is before you fight Asgore and now seems like the best time to check it out.

You walk down the cool path, the temperature feeling good after the encounter with Grillby, not that you don't like his warmth it's just that the gradual change in temperature felt nice. You stumble upon a river, the calm waters splashing softly against the bank, you remember here. You met someone in purple who you couldn't tell if they were man or woman, and they wouldn't say either, but they were nice and wanted to see your smile. . .and their boat was shaped weird.

"Tra la la. Tra li li." That voice, you recognize it. They're coming!

The boat pulls up to the bank in front of you, the Riverperson as you remember looks to you and claps their hands. They're taller than you remember.

"Ah, the human has returned!" They jump off the boat and hug you rather tightly, you are too constricted to move let alone breathe, "and not that bad human the human I like the smile from." They gleam.

They let you go after a while, you breath hard as you hold your chest but throw a smile at them anyway. A memory starts to appear, one that doesn't seem to fit in with the story line.

The Riverperson stared at you silently, you don't know if they were glaring at you or not but you didn't care, you just wanted to kill him.

"Ah, the human has returned," it sounded more like a hiss, "I would offer you a ride in my boat but you don't seem to want one."

Your sadistic smile grew as you walk closer to him, knife glistening in what little light was in the area. When close enough you lunged for him and slashed his torso, you smirked expecting to hear the hissing like sound that occurs when a monster turns to dust but then you frown. He was still standing, untouched, unscathed. Growling you slashed him again but you see the knife faze through him, you couldn't believe it. A monster you couldn't kill, that's impossible!

"Ah, so you've realized," his body leaned to the left, "that I can't die that is. You must be so upset, I can see it in your face y'know, even behind that weird smile of yours," you growled at him and wanted to stab him out of anger, "but everyone (in this realm and the next) knows that NPCs don't die no matter how hard you try to kill them. Unfortunately I am bound by the same rules, but then again I'm not a fighter, I'm a traveller."

He chuckled to himself, he looked to you once more stepping closer to you. You don't flinch or back down, just tense at how close he is, "but, even though I can't kill you, if you continue resetting and fucking up shit I'll make your life a living hell and trust me I always deliver. I'm not the best taxi in all of Underground for nothing." He growled.

He turned away and walked back to his boat, stepping on it and tapping it lightly for it to move, "now good day Geno human, hopefully if I see you again I can actually kill you." His voice chipper and light despite the heaviness in his words.

He waved at you, his sleeve falling only enough to see his hand. It was boney, a skeleton hand, another skeleton? He realized this and put his hand down, turning in the direction the boat was going and starting to sing again.

"Tra la la Tra li li," he sang, "you'll get what you deserve, you'll see."

River person tilts their head at you seeing you stare off into space, shaking your shoulders to bring you back to earth.

"Hello, smiling human? Whatcha star gazing for?"