Chapter 28

Thursday comes, and I have a big math test tomorrow. To put it easily, math is definitely not my best subject. I don't understand anything that is going to be on the test, and I'm beyond nervous to take it.

I sit at the desk in my room, ready to pull my hair out. It's only 6:00, but I have been studying non-stop since I got home at 2:30. I also skipped dinner so I could get more studying in and I'm starving. Papers are scattered across the table, and I'm going through all of my notes to try to figure out how to do one of the problems. My whole body is tense, and I am so frustrated that I could cry.

I read over my notes again, trying to figure out how to solve the equation.
My phone gets a text and I jump at the noise. I sigh and pick up my phone, reading the text from Cameron.

Cam: Hey! It's free ice cream night at a shop in town, wanna get some with me?

I groan, typing. I really wish I could, I love hanging out with Cam. But I just have too much studying to do.

Me: Aw, Cam, I'd really love to. But I really need to study, I have a huge math test tomorrow and I don't understand the material at all, I'm really sorry :(

I get back to studying and Cam answers a minute later.

Cam: Oh, that's okay. Do you want help with studying? I'm not too bad at math!

I bite my lip, thinking. I totally would have Cam help me, but it's kinda embarrassing how bad I am at math. I also don't want to inconvenience him and keep him up too late, because we have school tomorrow.

Me: you don't have to, I don't want to bother you :(

Cam: I'd love to baby! I'm coming over, see you soon! I love you :) xoxo

I get back to studying and wait for Cameron.

About ten minutes pass, and Cam still hasn't gotten here. What's taking him so long? I check my phone and see nothing. I convince myself that he's probably just in traffic and I try to forget about it, getting back to my work.

Yet again, I get the wrong answer to the math problem, so I scribble out my work and groan and rest my head in my hands, my eyes starting to tear up from frustration.

About five minutes later, I hear my doorbell ring and I hear my mom walk to the door to answer it. I hear her talking to someone and I listen for a minute, realizing that she's talking to Cameron.

I flip through my notes once again and I hear Cameron's footsteps climbs the stairs, walking towards my room.
Cam knocks on my door softly.
"Come in," I say weakly, still looking down at my notes.

"Hey, Hales." Cam greets me cheerily. I look up and see that he's holding two cups of ice cream.
"Hey, Cam," I smile. "You brought ice cream?"
"It was free!" Cameron laughs and walks closer to me. "Plus, I know that my baby girl is stressed from studying, and I also know that ice cream always helps."
"Thank you, Cam." I take the cup from him, eating some of the delicious dessert.
"You need help with math?" Cam asks, looking at my papers.
"Yup," I groan. "I have a big test tomorrow and I barely know any of the material on the test. This is so stressful."

"Don't worry, I'll help you. Let's see which problems you're having trouble with..." Cam lifts me up and sits in the chair, placing me comfortably in his lap.
I watch Cameron organize my notes, which are messily scattered across the desk.
Cam looks at the review sheet that I'm doing.