Chapter 29

A couple of weeks pass and it's a Friday afternoon. Cameron drops me off at home and I walk inside.
"I'm home!" I call out to my mom.
"Hi, Hayley, I have a surprise!" My mom says.
I walk into the kitchen to see my mom standing there with a very familiar person.
"John?" My mouth falls open. I drop my backpack and run up to him, hugging him.
John is my cousin. I haven't seen him in a few years because he left for college across the country, but we have always been really close. We talk on the phone all the time and he always knows everything that's going on in my life. He was kind of like an older brother to me growing up.
"Hey, little cousin." He messes up my hair and laughs.

"When did you get here? How did you get here? How long are you staying?" I ask quickly.
"Woah, calm down," he laughs and sits at the counter. I sit next to him.
"I decided I'd take a plane to come and visit you! I got here about an hour ago and I'm staying for the weekend." John says happily. I nod, smiling.

Later, my dad gets home and the whole family is watching TV.
"Oh, so Hayley," John smirks. "Am I gonna get to meet this boyfriend of yours?" I have told John about Cameron tons of times, so he knows who he is.
"Oh yeah! Why don't you invite him over tomorrow!" My mom smiles. "I'm sure John and Cameron would get along!"
"Okay," I nod, texting him. Cameron says he can come over tomorrow, so I tell my family.

The next day, I wake up, shower, and get dressed. I wear a creme colored sweater, dark jeans, and brown boots.
I also straighten my hair and do my makeup.

I walk downstairs and see John sitting at the counter.
"Hey," I smile.
"Hey, Hayley." He smiles too, looking up from his phone. "So when's Cameron coming?"
"In about ten minutes." I say and John nods. "Please be nice to him. I really really like him." I plead.
"We'll see." John winks, going to the bathroom.

A little while later, the doorbell rings. I jump up to get it and I open the door to reveal my boyfriend.
"Hey, Hales." Cameron smiles at me.
"Hey, Cam." I peck his lips.
I guide him in towards the kitchen.
"Where's your cousin?" Cam asks, leaning against the counter.
"Bathroom." I lean against the counter, too.

I hear footsteps come down the hallway.
"Hi, you must be Cameron," John walks in, a stern look on his face. "I'm John."
"Hi, John." Cameron stands up straight and shakes my cousins hand.
"I understand you are dating my little cousin?" John crosses his arms, eyeing Cameron up and down. Cameron looks at me nervously, nodding.
"John, stop it," I hit his shoulder. "Be nice to him."
"Shh..." John continues. "Go away."
"No," I cross my arms. "I don't want to leave."
"Hayley, I just want to talk to Cameron. We'll be done in a minute, just go in the living room." John pushes me away. I roll my eyes and walk into the living room sitting on the couch. I go on my phone and wait for them to be done talking.

Cameron's POV

Hayley goes into the other room and I gulp, nervousness setting in. John is a little bit bigger than me. He looks like he could be really friendly, but he also looks like he could beat the crap out of me.

"Now, I have known Hayley for her entire life. We grew up together. And although I haven't physically been here for the past few years, we have always been extremely close." John states.
"I understand." I nod, smiling.
"I would do anything for Hayley. I love her like a little sister, and I have always been very protective of her. Especially when it comes to guys." John shrugs his shoulders and I nod. "So I need to get a few things across."

I nod, not able to get anything else out.
"Now you seem like a nice guy, and Hayley really likes you. I don't want to fight you." John says as he steps closer, making his voice quieter. "But I swear, if you ever hurt Hayley, I will fly across the country and you will not know what hit you."
"O-okay." I stutter, backing up into the counter.

"I'm sorry to scare you, kid." John places his hand on my shoulder. "I just love Hayley a lot."
"I understand... I love her a lot, too." I say quietly. "This past year that we have been together has been the best year of my life, and I would never do anything to hurt her."
"That's what I like to hear." John nods, smirking. I laugh nervously, nodding.

"Cameron!" Hayley calls from the living room.
"Can I, uh-" I look at John.
"Yeah, go ahead." John nods.
I walk into the living room to see Hayley sitting on the couch.
"Hey baby, come sit." She pats the spot on the couch next to her. "I thought I'd save you from my cousin."
"Thanks." I laugh, my heart still beating fast from being nervous before. I run my fingers through my hair.
"Cam," she grabs my hand, a look of shock crossing her face. "You're shaking."
"I am?" I look down at my hands to see that I'm shaking a little bit.
"How bad did he scare you, babe?" Hayley laughs a little, guilt in her eyes.
I shake my head, laughing.
"What did he say?" She looks into my eyes.
"He told me about how close you guys are, and how if I hurt you, he'd beat my ass." I admit, laughing a bit.
"Aw, baby I'm sorry. I don't know why he's so protective." She rolls her eyes and leans in.

I hesitantly lean in. I'm afraid that John is going to see us kissing and kill me.
She kisses me and I kiss back a little bit, not getting into it.

"Cam," she pulls away and frowns. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing, I just..." I trail off, not wanting to say it to her. It's a little embarrassing how intimidated I am by her cousin.
"What, babe?" She asks, rubbing my back.
"I don't want John to catch us kissing," I sigh.
"Stop it," she holds onto my fingers. "John knows that we've kissed before." She kisses my cheek.
"I don't care about anyone else's opinion. I love you and that's all that matters, okay?" She looks into my eyes. I nod, pecking her lips.

Hayley's POV

My dad gets home a little while later and he starts a fire in the fire pit in the back yard. Even though it's fall, it's a pretty warm night. We all gather around the fire, talking for a little bit.
"Oh! Even though it's not summer anymore, why don't we make s'mores?" John asks, smiling.
"Sure! I'll go get the stuff," I stand and grab my boyfriends hand. "Come with me, Cameron."

He nods and we walk inside.

We get in the house and I start to get the stuff out for the s'mores. Cameron gets out a paper plate and starts to put the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers on the plate.
I slowly wrap my arms around his waist, leaning my head on his back.

"Hey, Hales." Cam turns and places his hands on my hips, smiling.
I lean up and kiss his lips. He kisses back and moves his hands up my back a little.
Cam swipes his tongue across my bottom lip and I eagerly let him in.

Our lips move in sync and I lean against the counter, Cameron's hands supporting himself against the counter.
I rest my hand on Cam's chest and he moves his hands back to my hips.

I hear the back door open and I hear someone cough. Cameron quickly pulls away and I look towards the door to see my cousin standing there. My face goes red and I look down at my feet, embarrassed.

"I was wondering what was taking you so damn long to get the s'mores." John says, walking over to the counter, grabbing the paper plate that contains the s'mores.

Cam and I trail behind my cousin to go outside, and back to the fire.
I grab Cameron's hand and he smiles back at me. He leans down and kisses my cheek quickly, making me smile.

We go back to our spots around the fire, and we roast marshmallows and make s'mores, while my family talks to Cameron and I.
We have a really nice, fun night.

A/N

I'm sorry that this chapter took me really long time to go up!
And I'm also sorry it's so short :(

I have writers block and I have to study for finals, which makes it hard to think of ideas to write.
I'll try to make the next chapter longer/ go up faster!!

Sorry for any spelling/ grammar mistakes etc.!