Chapter 42

A week passes since I was sick, and I feel normal again. Cameron and I are going to the mall tomorrow, and I don't want to be tired tomorrow, so I get in bed. I check the time on the clock before going to sleep. 12:27 AM.

I pull the covers up over my shoulder and close my eyes, slowly getting sleepier.

I sit up extremely quick, tears falling from my eyes. My chest heaves up and down and I desperately try to catch my breath. I look around, realizing I'm safely in my room. I wipe the tears from my face and check the time. 5:00 AM.

I think about calling Cameron, but it's way too early for that.

It may have just been a nightmare, but it was extremely terrifying. It was the same exact situation from that night at the party, except it did not turn out well.

Calm down, Hayley. It was just a bad dream.

I keep repeating this in my head, trying to calm down. I try falling back asleep, but I can't, so I go downstairs quietly and get some water.

I try falling asleep again after going downstairs, but it's pointless. There's no way I'm falling back asleep tonight. To pass time, I clean my room quietly, trying not to wake my parents, considering their room is right down the hall.

I clean the rest of the downstairs for my parents and then make breakfast, sitting down to watch TV. I turn on Netflix and watch some of my favorite shows. After a while, I hear my parents come downstairs.

"You're up early." My mom looks at me confused, pouring coffee for her and my dad.

"Yeah." I smile, turning back to the TV.

I spend time on my phone and then take a shower.
Before I know it, it's about 2:30 pm, and Cameron should be coming soon.

I do my hair quickly, curling the ends, and then I pull on jeans and a sweater. I check the time and see it's 3:00pm. I grab my phone and slip on my converse sneakers, jogging down the steps. I sit on the couch, waiting for Cam.

I try to watch whatever random show is on the tv, but the dream keeps popping into my head. The nightmare wouldn't have impacted me so much, if it didn't almost happen in real life. The scariest part is, the guy could come and get me if he sees me in public and I'm not with Cam.

I replay the dream and right when it gets to the point where the man grabs me, the doorbell rings. I jump in my seat and take a deep breath, fixing my hair, and opening the front door.

Cam sees me and he smiles.
"Ready to go?" Cam asks, smiling.

"Sure, I'm just gonna tell my mom I'm leaving." I nod, walking closer to the kitchen. I tell my mom I'm leaving and she approves.

I go back over to Cameron, and we go into his truck.

"How was your night last night?" Cam asks, starting conversation, as he backs out of my driveway.

"Uh, relaxing." I lie. I don't want to tell him about my nightmare yet. "How was yours?"

"Good." He smiles.

We listen to the radio and Cam puts his hand on my thigh. I flinch and mentally curse at myself for flinching.

"Are you okay?" Cam asks, quickly withdrawing his hand.