Chapter 31

Cameron ended up sleeping over the night before.
I wake up to Cameron leaving soft kisses behind my ear. I smile and turn towards him.

"Good morning," Cam wraps his arm around my waist, letting his arm hang loosely off my hip. I hold onto his fingers, and he kisses my cheek again.

"Good morning." I smile and kiss his nose.
We lay there for a while listening to the rain beat the windows as wind blows the trees back and forth.

After a while, we decide to go downstairs. The storm has gotten pretty bad, and a few small branches lay in the street.
My parents have the news channel on, and the newscaster is broadcasting the weather, which looks pretty bad. They've closed most roads, and they have announced which stores remain open.

We say hi to my parents and sit on the couch, watching the news.
All of a sudden, there is a loud crash noise outside, and the TV shuts off, along with all of the other lights that we had on. We all groan in unison.

I take some grapes to eat for breakfast, but shut the fridge quickly to preserve the temperature of the fridge.

Cameron and I snack on them, while we lay lazily on the couch. My head is at one end of the couch, while Cameron's is at the other side. We spend our morning talking and snacking on grapes, while my parents try to find out more about the weather.

Later in the day, the sun is still out, but it has gotten cooler out. The sun should be going down soon.

Cameron and I sit on the floor in the living room, playing a random board game that I found in my room.

I hear my mom in the kitchen, making me sit up.
"Ew," she groans, holding out the 'w.'
"What?" I ask, standing up. Cameron follows me into the kitchen to see what's wrong.

"The milk spoiled." She makes a face and carries the plastic milk gallon outside. She throws it in the trash can next to our house.
"Anthony?" She calls out to my dad.
He comes into the kitchen.
"Can you get the generator from the garage and try to get it to work? The fridge isn't cold anymore and our food is spoiling." She questions, gesturing to the fridge.

"I thought the generator was broken?" My dad tilts his head.
"Can you please just try to get it to work?" My mom asks him again.
"Okay," he agrees, turning to go to the garage.
"Do you need any help?" Cameron asks politely.
"No, I think I'll be good, thank you though." My dad nods.

"Hayley?" My mom turns to me. I nod, waiting for her to continue. "Can you and Cameron go to Target down the road and, if it's still open, can you get get some ice and a small carton of milk? I'll put it in the coolers that we have until dad fixes the generator."
"Sure," I nod.
"Thank you." My mom smiles. I nod.

"Wanna just go in our pajamas?" I question, laughing.
"It's not like anyone will be there, so sure." Cameron laughs.

We slip on our shoes and say goodbye to my mom, walking out of the house, and down to the car.

We drive all the way there, talking and laughing about inside jokes the whole time. We get to Target, which is surprisingly still open.

We walk inside, and get a cart.
"Get in, Hales." Cameron smirks. I nod and climb into the cart with Cam's help.
No one is here, so we don't care.

Cameron begins to push the cart, and we get to a isle where there are no workers. He starts running, pushing the cart incredibly fast. I let out a small scream and laugh.
He does this up and down a few other isles until we get to the isle that has the milk and ice.

I get out of the cart and Cam lifts the big bags of ice into the cart. I get the milk and put it in the cart also. We walk back up to the cash register and ring up the ice and milk, before carrying it back out to the car.

We drive back to my house and Cameron carries the ice in while I carry the milk. My mom opens the door for us and we walk inside. We dump the ice into the coolers and put the milk in, along with other perishable foods and drinks.

We spend the rest of the night playing board games and talking, considering we don't have any electricity.
Cameron somehow got enough service to call his mom and tell her that he's at my house and that he's safe.

Later that night, we all get ready for bed. Cameron and I brush our teeth and I put on pajamas. I shut off the light and leave the door open. I get into bed while Cameron changes into pajamas.

He puts on a T-shirt and basketball shorts. I hold out my arms, wanting him to come cuddle with me.

Cameron gets into bed with me, and he wraps his arm around me. He plays with my hair, helping me fall asleep.
The rain continues to fall, but the wind isn't too bad.
Between Cameron playing with my hair, and the sound of the rain on the roof, I eventually fall asleep.

In the middle of the night, my body is jolted awake from a loud crash outside. The rain is now a heavy downpour and the wind is extremely strong. Lightning cracks across the sky, accompanied by loud claps of thunder, which makes me jump each time. Branches that broke off of trees slam into my window occasionally, making me shift back closer into Cameron. Each time I get closer to him, he lets out another snore and squeezes my waist in his sleep.

I try to lay back down and fall asleep, but the storm is so loud. I honestly don't know how Cameron hasn't woken up yet.
After a minute, the storm seems to calm down a little bit. I settle into Cameron, finally able to fall back asleep.

Suddenly, there is a huge boom of thunder, louder than any of the other ones that I heard. Frightened, I jump, bumping into Cameron.
He opens his eyes quickly and looks into my eyes.

"Hales, what's wrong?" Cam asks, his voice raspy with sleep.
"The thunder was really loud." I say quietly. Now that I say it out loud, it sounds like a stupid reason to be scared.
"Aww, baby I've got you." He smiles and pulls me closer into his chest and squeezes my shoulders.

Each time the thunder booms loudly, I cringe. Cameron plays with my hair to make me less scared and it actually works pretty well. Cam eventually falls asleep again.

I eventually fall asleep in Cameron's arms while he snores.

A/N

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is really really short! I have ideas for upcoming chapters though, so they should be up soon!

Sorry for any spelling/ grammar mistakes etc.

Enjoy!