Polaroids

Ellen slept the rest of the way up, she was exhausted. Patrick just set up camp without her, it was now night, but he figured it wasn't that bad. Ellen deserved to sleep. He hammered in the tent stakes, laid out the blankets and pillows and mattress pads. The inside of the tent was cozy and not at all rough. Patrick repeated his carrying of Ellen, setting her on the blankets. He took off her other shoe, one being off for her ankle anyway. Patrick slid a pillow under her foot to keep her ankle from swelling then kissed her cheek.

"Night Ellie."

******

The sun filtered through the blue tent, streaming down onto her face as she woke up.

"Patrick?" Ellen said instinctively, sitting up. Her leg was elevated, and the blankets next to her rumpled, slept in. "Patrick!"

A familiar face full of dark curls and bright blue eyes poked through a tent door.

"El, you're up! I'm making breakfast, eggs and stuff. Come on out, is your ankle okay?" Patrick asked, smiling. He was relieved to see her awake. Ellen stood up, crawling out of the tent. She nodded.

"Ankle is good. A bit sore but I can walk." Ellen reported, sitting next to Patrick in a chair. He roasted sausage, eggs were wrapped in foil in the fire. His hand rested on her thigh, squeezing.

"I'm glad you're good. I'm sorry about the crash-"
Ellen stopped him in an open kiss, a sweet kiss.

"Patrick. Don't. It's over. We're up here to be free, and a little crash happened. So what?" She said, brushing his hair back. Patrick gazed into her eyes, his exterior melting.

"I almost lost you...and that scares me. I love you. Like really love you, like-"

"Hold a radio outside your window, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, pretend to like your taste in music-" Patrick began to laugh as she recited script lines. He kissed her softly, turning back to making breakfast.

"Kinda way that makes me hate you, love you." Patrick murmured as he plated the food. He smiled. Ellen began to eat, watching the sky overhead. Relaxing would be nice in Tahoe.
****
Patrick poured water on the fire, sitting until he could see the last embers go out. It was at that moment he heard a click. He turned his head, seeing Ellen holding a Polaroid camera.

"Hey!" Patrick hung his head, laughing at her. Ellen giggled taking a second one. "Where and when on earth did you get a Polaroid?" He asked.

Ellen walked behind him, hugging his shoulders. She kissed his scratchy cheek.

"This one is probably from 1995...I had it back in my place in a box. I remember I had some film and I liked taking nature photos...and boyfriend photos." Ellen said sheepishly, embarrassed even. Patrick pulled the photo as it printed out, shaking it in the light. He looked between it and her, seeing what she meant. It was beautiful. His eyes were drawn to the smoking embers she caught in the Polaroids unique coloring.

"Whoa. It looks really neat," he breathed before teasing her, his favorite pastime. "What kind of boyfriend photos are we talking about here?" Patrick rose a brow. Ellen sat next to him on the thick log, a leg on each side, shaking her head.

"Well you've have to see and find out for yourself." She stated in reply, smirking. Patrick pushed her wavy blonde hair back, nodding.

"Mmmhmmm,  can I use it too?" He asked her, tilting his head. Ellen shrugged,

"I have like four canisters of film and sheets of paper so yeah." She let him hold it. "Do you want to go on a hike after you're done cleaning up?"