Shine bright

Maureen knocked softly on the white wooden door before she walked into the magenta colored room that belonged to none other than Stella Luna. While Patrick had decided to take on rousing Ellen up and out of bed, Maureen had tasked herself with the little girl. She didn't know exactly what to call Stella in relation to herself. Niece seemed too close considering she had no blood relation but Maureen could also see the budding realization that Stella wasn't leaving any time soon.

"Hi, Stella Luna? Oh you're awake, good," Maureen slowly walked down to her bed and crouched, seeing Stella roll over. "You don't know me Stella, I'm Maureen. I'm Ellen's sister..."

The little girl pulled her covers up to her nose, peering out of them at the strange woman before her. Quietly she spoke up,

"Aunt Maureen?" She questioned. Maureen smiled, nodding. Stella sat up, smiling. "You look just like mama," she complimented her.

"You're the sweetest thing Stella Luna, say, how about you and I grab some breakfast. Okay?" Maureen asked, picking the little girl up. Stella wrapped her arms around her neck, sighing as Maureen walked them down the stairs. She sat her on the counter while whisking around to scrounge up some cereal.

"So Stella," Maureen pondered aloud as she rummaged through cabinets. "Can I ask you about what's happened here recently?"

Stella bit her lip, swaying her legs back and forth smacking the counter. She looked down and wouldn't make eye contact with Maureen.

"You mean...Everett." Stella whispered. She crossed her arms, the subject clearly upset her.

"Oh Stells," Maureen finished pouring out cheerios and went to her niece, her hands on her knee caps. "Everett was a good boy. I'm so sorry he moved on from us but I want you to promise me something."

"Yeah?" Stella replied, tilting her head. Her big brown eyes questioned Maureen, her pink lips pouting as she pondered just what Maureen would ask of her. Maureen took this moment to push a curl back, smiling.

"I want you to promise me, that you'll always remember Everett by being good. Don't get sad over him, he wouldn't want that. He'd want you to find friends and love life, and not worry about him. He's in a good place now. Promise me that, and you'll be good for momma Ellen, right? And Patrick...he loves your momma a lot, so be good to him too. I know it's hard Stella, I know." Maureen kissed Stella's forehead, brushing her nose against the little girl's, creating a chorus of giggles.

"I promise." Stella replied as she hugged Maureen around the neck. "How do you know it's hard?" She asked, watching Maureen's demeanor change completely. She paled, looking down. It was still difficult to talk about after all those years.

"Look, Stella, it was so long ago I- you know you don't have a grandma right? Yeah, well...my mom, your moms momma, died. She was hurting too,"

"Like Everett?" Stella interjected, curious now.

"Oh uh yeah sort of...anyway I just, I made a promise to myself. That whenever it got dark out, I would shine for us all. That meant I took care of your mom when she was sad too," Maureen explained as she took down a bright blue bowl from the shelves. She poured some children's rice puff cereal into it, remembering the days she did this for Ellen herself as a child. Growing up was difficult, but she managed. Stella may not be Ellen's biologically but there was a certain spark about her that couldn't help but bring back memories of a tow headed little girl she called her sister.

"Momma's sad. Everett made her sad." Stella said softly as she started pointing at each cereal puff in her bowl, counting. She whispered the numbers under her breath, keeping tally on her fingers. Maureen sighed, nodding her head.

"It makes me sad too Stells. Eat your breakfast, come on now. " She pulled Stella down to sit at the table with her breakfast, while she ate her own bowl. Maureen watched the little girl, feeling a small sense of pride for a moment. Ellen was doing something good by wanting to keep her despite not being of relation to her. She couldn't blame Chris for leaving, it was only a matter of time in her eyes. Maureen looked into Stella's rich brown eyes, seeing the little girls curiosity reflected back in them. Footsteps broke Maureen out of her reverie, Ellen had finally come around and well...it wasn't pretty.

"Good morning Els. If you want more food let me know, I can whip more up." Maureen said before taking a bite of cereal. She had seen her sister for only a few moments but couldn't handle it, seeing her so ragged. Her skin was so pale, you could see her blue and green veins, and her eyes so hollow. The bags under them told the story.

"Thank you but I'm fine." Ellen replied curtly as she washed her plate in the sink. She took a deep breath listening to the water run.

"Momma...aunt Maureen said you lost your momma like we lost Everett." Stella states as Ellen slid the plate into the dishwasher. She froze up. Maureen was telling Stella stories, and they brought up memories she didn't want to deal with at the moment. Ellen glared at her sister, giving her a look that said to knock it off.

"Uh yeah, I-we lost our mom," She said quietly, leaning against the counter. "Stells honey we don't need to talk about my momma, not now okay?" Ellen said, walking over and grabbing her small hand.

"Okay." Stella chirped in reply, walking with Ellen.

"Let's get you dressed for today Stella, we can go out for lunch with my Papa and Maureen? That sounds good huh?"  Ellen helped her up the stairs and into her bedroom to change.

---

"Good morning Maureen,"

"Morning papa," Maureen replied as she cleaned the countertop. Joesph walked into the kitchen, grabbing a banana. He sat down and nodded at Maureen.

"Poor kid is a mess." He said grimly, shaking his head.  Maureen paused, sitting across from him.

"She's trying papa," Maureen was quick to defend her little sister, just as she had back in the day. Life after her mother passed was rough on all of them, especially Ellen. But Maureen made Ellen appreciate the life she had in front of her. Joseph nodded, eyeing Maureen.

"I know. I hate that she didn't even tell us. I didn't meet my own grandson! Your mother would have wanted that for us. Her grandson." Joseph sighed, running his fingertip across Ellen's table. "Ellen's suffered so much. I don't know what to say anymore."

"Why do you need to? Papa, look. Ellen's upset and rightfully so she's a mess but she doesn't want you acting like she's poor, starving, and can't handle herself. No. You've forgotten who's been at her side for 9 months and more. Patrick sat by her every step of the way. She's not alone in this. There's no pieces to pick up." Maureen chided him, shaking her head. Joesph stared at her, taking deep breath. He got up from the table, going to get a glass of orange juice.

"You children with your new world...Maureen," Joesph took a dramatic sip of juice. "My own daughter, my youngest, refused to tell me she was having my grandson. Just because she had someone with her doesn't mean what she did was fine. Maureen, I never saw him. I came when he died." He said, his blue eyes on his daughter. Maureen got up, shaking her head.

"Ellen isn't a lamb who needs to be tended to." She argued. Joesph scoffed.

"She's my Ellen. I was called out here by her lover...not her own self. Maureen, please," Joesph sat down, sighing. He felt sad. The entire situation was awful.

"Maureen look!" Stella burst in, twirling in a purple cotton skort and a tee shirt. Maureen turned her attention to the little girl, hugging her.

"Lets go to the grove everyone," Ellen said, cutting the tension in the room.