Caring doesn't mean sharing

Chris helped Ellen lay out on the couch. He sat next to her, watching her hands jitter. Gently he pulled her into his arms, like old times. It was awkward, Ellen was stiff.

"Have you been taking your meds?" He asked quietly. Ellen's blue green eyes gave him a death glare, she was already embarrassed enough she hadn't been able to finish a stupid run, now this?

"Yes. I have!" Ellen snapped at him. "For your information it still happens once in a while. I'm an asthmatic Chris!"

Chris rose his hands, shaking his head.

"Hey! No need to be snippy, I'm asking because I'm concerned. It's called being a human being, try to be one for once." He snapped back, a little hurt by her attitude. Ellen hissed, pulling back from him.

"Sorry I'm not so bright and shiny for someone who couldn't breathe for a while today." She replied, sour. Chris took a deep breath.

"It doesn't mean you should take this out on me, I'm here. I'm here for you, supporting you, making sure you're taking care of yourself..." He said, moving closer. "And Patrick...left."

Ellen shook her head, blonde bangs falling from her ponytail.

"Christopher. He had a family to check up on, he didn't just dump me here-"
It was too late. Family. Her blue green eyes widened, as her pulse shot up. She didn't like a single thing Chris was saying or insinuating but she felt the truth behind his cowardly words which made it sting.

"That's right. For months I have watched Patrick drop you off here after a wonderful date, go down the corner to left to Jill and his children. The next night, his to the right. But occasionally the left. There's always children out over there. He doesn't love you, or cherish you. He has you as a side job, is he even divorcing Jill?" He kept talking. Ellen stood up, the urge to deck him in the jaw overwhelming.

"Chris...you don't know the full story stop talking about this before you make a fool of yourself," she said. Chris stood up as well, towering over Ellen's small frame.

"Oh really? Think I could offer you better than that lousy son of a bitch. Ellen, wake up. Sure he says he's not with her, but he's got this baggage. I miss you." He looked down at her with dark brown eyes, upset. Ellen could see the anger rise in his body language however.

"Baggage you mean like your criminal record because i really want that-" Ellen growled at him, squaring her shoulders.

"You let it live in your house," Chris refuted, stepping closer to Ellen. She could feel his breath.

"Freeload in this house, yes. You free load and don't even deny it you pay little to no rent for a decent place to eat, shower, and maybe fuck a few bitches." Ellen shot back, jaw clenched.

"Don't you forget that you and I are still legally married? And what's that legal thing we should do...oh have children!" Chris shouted, now he was plain pissed. The anger swirled in him, he didn't want to eat, sleep, and fuck a few bitches- he wanted to cook for Ellen, sleep with her, make love to her...his feelings were still there and very real.

" If you bring up my father and a child again I will throw you out on your ass Christopher Ivery, don't you even think," Ellen breathed, glaring at him. Chris took this chance to kiss her, his lips crashing on top of hers. His body nudging her back onto the couch. Ellen pulled back, slapping him, pushing him back with all force of her little body.

"Get the fuck off Chris! You think I want you back? Where is this coming from? We mutually agreed we had no feelings but you were a friend, Chris what-"

"I just, I don't think Patrick is treating you right...I didn't, God. Ellie, I lost my girl, and you deserve-" Chris began to whine, like a child. He felt lost.

"Patrick. Whom I love. I love him with every fiber of my being. It's disgusting how much I would do for him, how much I love him, he makes me so happy Chris. I never felt that with you. We are over. I can not afford to kick you out, but you need to stop coming onto me. You hear me Chris? Next time? I'm telling Patrick, who's a little on the protective side. Go take a cold shower and get an online dating profile." Ellen walked away, heading to the stairs.

"Fine. I'm going to spend a few months in Boston. I'll go tomorrow. Make a trip to visit your dad, he's your only parent." Chris sighed, going to his room. Ellen rolled her eyes at his comment. She closed her door and went to her phone. Missed calls from Patrick. And texts.

'You feeling better?' One asked. Ellen smiled, he cared- it was obvious.  She decided to call him, sighing in relief when she could finally hear his voice.

"Ellen? You're okay right?"

"Paddy, yeah. I am." Ellen twirled hair hair around her index finger, her body relaxing at the soft sound of Patrick's voice. He was quiet, probably in Tal's room.

"That was uh scary today...are you still jittery?" Patrick didn't want to dwell too much on the issue, knowing Ellen.

"No...not as much. Hey, um, are you watching T tonight?" She asked. Patrick shook his head,

"No. I can come by. You want me to come over?"

"Yes, please."
**

Patrick came by, carrying a basket of cookies. He held them out for Ellen.

"I made these after dinner with Tal, they're really good." Ellen giggled, letting him inside. She walked to the kitchen with the cookies as Chris came down the stairs, with his suitcase.

"I'm leaving now." He said, not waiting for Ellen's reply. Patrick looked at him leaving, sensing his anger. He looked to Ellen who didn't have a care in the world as she stuffed herself with the cookies. If it didn't bother her, he decided it wouldn't bother him.

"Mmmmmmmmmhmmmm, Patrick these are great." Ellen cooed, taking a bite of a second one, chocolate smearing on her lips. Patrick leaned forward, swiping his thumb across her lips.

"You're a bit...messy," he replaced his thumb with his lips, crashing into hers. Ellen dropped the second cookie, her hands going to his chest, running her hands across it as the kiss heated up. Their tongues swirled against each other, fighting. Patrick pulled back.

"You really have bounced back since this morning," he joked, winking a sparkly blue eye at her. Ellen blushed and nudged him. Patrick gave her a look, the look. Ellen took her hand, cupping Patrick's face, and smiled.

"Yes. I'm bouncing back."