4 • Distractions

"Run it back," I pushed my headphones to the side signaling 40 to replay the track.

We wasted no time getting back to work once we got to California. The plane ride back was long. I couldn't sleep and no sleep meant that my mind was running all over the place—the main reason I decided to get in the studio before going home.

It was pushing 3am and we had about six cuts. All of them weren't going to make it on the album but I needed them out of my head and recorded before I made any decisions.

He pressed play and let the beat run it's course. I bobbed my head listening to it before scrolling through my phone to find what I had written on the way here.

How did I finesse all of this shit from Jane and Weston,

Girls all in my bed and they don't trip off first impression,

Girls all in ya' bed and they just ask a hundred questions,

I can't fuck witchu' no mo' 'cus you be actin' extra,

40 cut the track and I looked up from my phone. "What's wrong?" I asked shifting my headphones again.

"Change your delivery. Slow it up some." He suggested and proceeded to tweak the beat some.

He played it back a couple times until he got it where he wanted it. I rapped the same verse and this time we both were satisfied with the results.

"Now, that's a fucking hit," He smiled as I exited the booth.

"That's all we make, boy!" I sat next to him going through a few more potentials while we waited for Chubbs and OB to come back. They had plans for a party tonight. It sounded fun but laying up with my wife sounded much better. When they returned, I recorded a little more before leaving and making my way to the home Roman and I shared in Agoura Hills.

 When they returned, I recorded a little more before leaving and making my way to the home Roman and I shared in Agoura Hills

Moving outside of the city was best for us when it came to staying out of the public eye. I didn't want anybody suspecting anything and the YOLO estate was well known for parties and unexpected guests. Having her there would've been the worst option so I scrapped the idea all together.

It had been two weeks since Roman told me that she was in London and we haven't spoken since. With the five hour time difference and both of us being extremely busy, it was hard to find time to talk. I couldn't even tell her that I was coming home. I hadn't planned on sleeping alone tonight.

Without Roman here, being home didn't feel the same. I was used to the welcome home surprises and occasional home cooked meals but this time, it was empty. It was so quiet that my steps echoed off of the walls. I sighed plopping down on the couch looking around at the vaguely decorated room. There were no pictures of us and no memories to share with family and friends. This isn't what I envisioned when I considered settling down. I wanted kids and a house in Toronto closer to my mom. I didn't want Roman to ever need for anything. She deserved the world and I was going to give it to her. This was just a phase that I know will pass.