15 • Guilt

Aubrey

I stayed awake while Roman slept on my chest. Since leaving the party, she hadn't spoken one word. Bleu collected her gifts and we brought her back to her place. This was my first time here and surprisingly she wanted me to stay.

My intentions weren't to ruin her day. The alcohol got the best of me and I was saying shit that was supposed to wait a few more days. I felt bad but there was nothing I could do about it now. I sighed and ran my fingers through her hair staring at the fresh scratch above her eye that she refused to tell me about.

I glanced over at her phone as it vibrated for the eighth time in a row. I tapped lightly on her back until she opened her eyes. "Hm?"

"Your phone is ringing," I informed.

"I don't care," She mumbled snuggling back into me.

"It may be important baby," I said cupping her ass in my hand. "They've been calling back to back,"

"It's my dad," She grumbled. "He's calling about Logan and I don't care to deal with that shit tonight,"

I nodded letting it go. She wasn't very open when it came to her family unless it was about her step mother. They seemed to have a much better relationship than she and her dad. I rubbed her back gently attempting to ease her mind. She couldn't get comfortable.

"Still not feeling good?" I asked looking down at her.

"I feel better," She yawned. "I guess I was just nervous. I didn't get sick last time,"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Last time?"

She had already drifted off. Her light snores filled the air as she held on to me for dear life. I didn't want to make assumptions but it was hard not to. She was hiding something.

I grabbed her laptop and searched though the documents she had saved. She was pretty organized when it came to logging information about our insurance, reimbursements, and how much money the both of us spent every month no matter how small the purchase was, she had to know or you wouldn't hear the last of it.

I use to think it was a waste of time until I ran into a few legal problems and had to go back and work numbers. Having it all in one spot made it so much easier for me and Oliver. I pulled up her medical files and went through the paperwork she had scanned until I found what I was looking for.

Spontaneous Abortion.

The papers were dated two years ago, today. I blinked a few times making sure that I was reading it correctly. I found everything, even the sonogram. This explained why she'd been down for her last two birthdays. I stared at the photo trying not to let my emotions get the best of me because my first instinct was to wake her up and ask how she miscarried and why she didn't tell me.

I sighed and closed the laptop putting it away. I decided to wait until the morning to ask her about it. I lifted her up moving her to the other side of the bed so that I could get comfortable. She gave me all of two seconds to do so before she was back in my arms. I kissed her forehead and closed my eyes.

As always, my thoughts kept me awake; not to mention the friction from Roman tossing and turning for hours. It wasn't uncommon for her to move around in her sleep but this was different. She was uncomfortable and every so often she'd whimper. Holding her was becoming nuisance. She would push me away then a few minutes later pull my arm over her and if I moved she got pissed off.