Isbell

"Please," my brother whined, asking for what felt like the millionth time.

"No. I don't want to go," I said simply. I had been arguing with him for almost half an hour, and quite frankly, I was sick of his shit.

"Carolina Rae!"

"Jeffrey Dean!"

"Stop mocking me!"

"Stop mocking me," I mimicked.

"Seriously, please! If you don't go to Will's with me, I can't go," he said desperately.

"Well then, I guess you're not going," I replied, pushing my hair out of my face.

"Why do you have to be like this? You can't just humor me? You don't even have to stay there," he said quietly. "Just make sure mom thinks you're with me."

I groaned at the thought of leaving my room on a day like this; It was hot, humid, and sunny outside, my least favorite weather.

"Jeff, I really don't want to."

"Well too bad, because I really want to, Carolina."

"Ugh, fine!" I snapped, irritated enough to the point of giving in. "Just leave me alone."

He thanked me with much irritation in his voice, and hurried out of my room.

I sighed as I stood up and stretched. My plan was just to stay in bed all day, but no, my older brother had to ruin it. I stomped over to my closet and pulled put a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, changed, and I walked into the bathroom to brush through my hair and put on some mascara.

When I was done getting ready, I pulled on my ratty converse and walked out into the living room to wait for my brother. After a few minutes, he still wasn't in the living room, and I was totally impatient. I didn't even want to go, yet he was making me, and now he wasn't ready to leave.

"Jeffery. Dean. Isbell!" I yelled, noticing that our parents were gone.

"Carolina. Rae. Isbell," he mocked, running down the stairs with his guitar case in hand.

"God, can you ever leave that thing here?" I asked him as we headed to the door.

"Nope. Why don't you bring yours?" he asked as he opened the door.

"Because I don't want to, dude,"

"Whatever. Mom's note says that they're gonna be back around- oop, there she is," he said as our mom's car pulled into the drive away.

"Hey, kiddos. Where you guys headed?" our mom asked with a smile.

"Will's house," Jeff answered.

"Okay, well have fun. Your dad will be back tonight, so behave. Keep an eye on your sister," she called to us.

"Mom, I'm sixteen, not six," I called.

"You're sill younger than me, squirt," Jeff said as we crossed the street.

"So what? It's only like two years."

"You're still younger."

°°°°°°

"Here, Will," Jeff said, handing his friend his guitar before he attempted to climb onto the roof.

"What about you, Caro-leen-a?" Will said, offering me a hand.

"It's Caro-line-a, genius, you know that."

He smiled and pulled me up onto the roof. I knew it wouldn't have been very high of a climb, but Will was cute, and I was willing to accept his help.