Pills

"What the fuck happened?" my brother growled as he paced in front of my hospital bed.

"I slipped on accident because you spilled something on the floor before you left," I shot back, irritated that I was lying in a hospital bed.

"You should have been watching where you were going," he insisted.

"And you should have learned to clean up after yourself," I said plainly before examining the dried spots of blood on my arm from where the pins were.

"I thought you went home."

"No, I couldn't move. You wouldn't help me, so Slash did."

"And how is he involved in this?" my brother asked, narrowing his eyes. "I know that this is 'somehow' his fault," he said sarcastically.

"First of all, I wasn't blaming him. Second, he's full of himself and it pisses me off. He thinks that I'm in love with him or something!" I scoffed before picking at the tape that held in my IV.

"Don't, Carolina, leave it alone- and he's not that bad, but you can't seem to get over the past. We're going on tour with Mötley Crüe soon, so don't ruin this! We are not going to fall apart when we're this close to really making it."

I felt my jaw drop as I slid the needle of the IV out of my arm.

"You're going on tour with my favorite band, and you weren't going to tell me?" I asked, completely shocked.

"I was going to surprise you, but I figured-" he turned around to see the blood run down from my elbow. "Damn it! Didn't I tell you to leave it alone?!" he asked as he rushed over to wipe the blood. "I figured it would help you behave- to motivate you to behave, but I'm starting to think that I was wrong," he grumbled.

"No, I'll behave," I said, eyes wide as if he would say no.

"We'll see. You need to get over your shit with Slash."

"Maybe he just shouldn't talk to me at all," I said as I climbed out of the hospital bed (luckily, I was still wearing my clothes, not one of the icky hospital gowns).

"Ah, ah! No, sit down. They haven't even come back with your x-rays yet."

"And I do not care," I said with a smile as I headed toward the door.

"Carolina Rae stop trying to be so rebellious," he said as he followed me.

"I'm not trying to be anything, and you're not one to tell me how to act," I said as a little old woman shuffled by, hanging on to an IV cart.

"I am your older brother, I am in charge o-"

"No, you're not," I said with a slight smile. "I'll be eighteen soon; you are losing what little control you thought you had."

He looked at me and shook his head, following me out of the hospital.

"You do know there's discharge forms to sigh, right?"

"Nope. Don't care anyway."

"Carolina Rae!" he yelled after me.

I walked home without turning back to face him; I was over today.

A little over an hour later, Tracii had come over to my apartment to hang out for a little while.

"So are you finally willing to admit that you're not okay?" he asked, sitting on my kitchen counter as I made myself some tea.

"There's nothing to admit to."

"So nothing happened today... at all?"

"Nope."