My Number

"How long do we have until he gets here?" Tracii asked for the fourth time.

"I don't know," I snapped, "It's only been twenty five minutes."

"What do we do?" he asked, still nervous.

"We don't do anything. I talk, you sit and don't speak until you absolutely have to," I said, trying to calm down.

"This wasn't just you," he said, running his hands through his messy hair, clearly flustered. "'Two to tango,' remember?"

"I'm serious... maybe you should go, I don't know... my brother is going to be  so fucking furious," I said, nervously shaking my hands.

"Why? You can't make your own decisions?" he asked. "Why does he care?"

"Because he'll try to turn it into a life lesson; last time I was with someone he knew, it went to shit-"

"I am not Will, and what we're doing is not the same thing," he said, growing angry.

"Don't get angry with me! I'm trying to spare your ass of my brother's misery," I said desperately.

"'Spare me?' Oh please! Stop acting like a fucking martyr. Get over the fact that I'm staying."

"Tracii, you're not listening," I said, standing up. "You need to go so that it's easier for both of us- and when the fuck did I claim to be a goddamn martyr? You are so fuckin' dramatic."

"Are you shittin' me? I'm the dramatic one? You're out of your damn mind, Carolina," he growled.

"Stop being a dick and just listen t-"

"No, Carolina, I will not listen. You're blowing this way out of proportion-"

"You're the one screaming!"

"So are you," he yelled back.

"You yelled first- it doesn't matter! This was a horrible idea, and I knew it."

"A horrible idea? Really? Seemed like a great idea every time you were knocking on my door."

"You agreed to it, too, and you did the same fucking thing. I don't want to hear any of your shi-"

"Carolina Rae Isbell," my brother screamed, disrupting our argument.

I could hear him slam the door as hard as he could behind him, causing a framed picture to fall in the kitchen.

"Fuck," I said, looking at Tracii. My anger was instantly replaced with panic. "You gotta go."

"What? Didn't we just talk about this? I was part of it, too," he said sternly.

"Please, just go. It's just better if you do," I begged, hoping he could make it out of the window before my brother got to my room.

"I can't. It's not right. You weren't the only one," he said, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry I had this stupid fucking plan," I said, fidgeting nervously.

"It's okay," he said with a faint smile, squeezing my shoulder. "Even the best of us get caught eventual-"

My door flew open with a bang and revealed my brother, standing stiffly in the doorway. His eyes were dilated and feral, his dark brown hair a mess, hazel eyes wild looking as he fumed.

"You," he spat, pointing at Tracii.

"Jeff, he-"

"Shut your fucking mouth," he screamed at me, his eyes signalling that I was not to make a single sound.