Don't Start Me Talkin'

"Carolina, please. Stop. Playing. That. Record," Tracii begged from the couch, where he was laying upside down, his head hanging inches from the floor.

"I'm sorry, it's just- I didn't know my brother's music could be so..." I struggled for the word.

"Good?"

"Awesome."

"Yeah, it's great," he said, a touch of sarcasm in his voice, "but you've played nothing else for four days straight. Please, stop."

I sighed sadly and lifted the needle from the record, placed it back in it's sleeve, and put on New York Dolls 'Too Much Too Soon.'

"Thank you!" Tracii shouted joyously, jumping up from the couch.

I shook my head and walked into the kitchen to find something to eat. Being that it was about noon and I hadn't eaten yet, I knew that I needed food. Looking through my barren cupboards, I decided on cereal; the boys had eaten pretty much everything else in the last few days that they had been here.

"What do you want?" I asked as he swaggered over.

"Nothing," he said playfully, poking my sides, causing me to jump.

"Tracii," I warned, knowing that he was up to no good.

"What? I'm not touching you," he said, holding a finger in front of my face.

"Don't be a pain in the ass," I said, swatting his hand away.

"I'm not doing anything," he said with a shrug, "but we could be," he added, followed by him grabbing me suddenly and pushing me up against a wall.

"What are you doing?" I asked, debating whether or not I should squirm away.

"I missed being this close to you," he said, lightly brushing a finger over my left collarbone.

"You know exactly why that had to stop," I said, gently pushing his hand away, which he placed beside my head against the wall, his other at my waist.

"I know," he said, getting closer to my face. "Saul was an asshole and ruined everything," he said softly, his hot breath fanning my lips.

"Tracii, I don-"

I was cut off by him pressing his lips to mine, and although I was startled, I didn't pull away from him. It was a familiar feeling, and I missed it. His lips were just as soft and warm as I had remembered.

"Oh, God, I missed that," he breathed after we broke apart.

"So did I," I said, leaning back against the wall, laying my head against his arm.

"Old time's sake?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh, Tracii, it's too hot," I whined (my air conditioner had broken two days ago and was still in need of repair).

His smile faltered, but he understood.

"I would ask for a rain check, but I don't think you want to hook up anymore," he said.

"Don't get me wrong, you were amazing, and I bet you still are," I said quickly, "but yeah... I just... I don't know anymore," I trailed off nervously.

"It's okay," he said, leaning away from me. "I get it. Time changes things, man."

"I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or anything bu-"

"I'm not hurt," he said with a chuckle. "I respect your decision- even though it bums me out, and no is no. End of story," he said, shrugging and turning back to the kitchen.