After Midnight

"He did what?!" Tracii said, almost shouting as I angrily paced in my apartment.

"They were all there- Will, Jeff, Saul, even Steven Adler- y'know, the little blonde dude that Adriana was leeching off of," I clarified, seeing that Tracii didn't know who I was talking about. "There was a really tall guy named Duff, and he was nice, but still, it pissed me the fuck off that Phil didn't tell me where we were going!"

"That's some bullshit," he said with a scowl, leaning back onto my couch.

"And it was a three out of five thing; I didn't want to deal with the three, and the other two- Tracii, what are you doing?" I asked, watching him wedge himself between the cushions.

"Thinking."

"What does wedging yourself into my furniture do for your thinking?"

"Nothing. I'm just thinking of what I'm going to do with Phil."

"Do? What would you do with him?"

"I think I'll kick his ass."

"What? No."

"Fine... Throat punch?" he suggested.

"Tracii, no."

"Fine. In the nose."

"Oh yeah, great idea! Break your lead singer's fucking nose," I said sarcastically.

"Well, he upset you and I don't like it; it was fucked up for him to do that."

"You're acting like my brother, will knock it off?" I grumbled, running my fingers through my hair.

"Someone has to, and you don't seem to be okay with Izzy right now."

"Oh, and that's another thing! These fucking names are ridiculous. You can't just be who you really are?"

Tracii raised an eyebrow at me.

"Your brother's name is Jeff... I'm not sure if you've noticed, but that's not the most rock and roll name ever."

"So?"

"So, nothin'. We're all trying to fit in and be rock and roll, Carolina. That's why I changed my name."

"Rock and roll has nothing to do with it," I said exasperatedly. "Plus, your first name was already Tracii. Last names are different. First name changes are just stupid," I said, kicking a chair.

"It is not," he insisted. "How many famous rock stars do you know that are named 'Jeff' or 'Saul?'"

"None, but that doesn't mean that they can't be the first ones."

"They want to be more unique than that. We all want to stand out in this business- we have to to draw attention."

"Why does everything have to be unique? Do they not realize that they are already unique as they are? You can stand out without having a weird name."

"Again, it's about being-"

"Rock and roll, I know. You say it again, and you're leaving," I said, feeling myself grow angrier by the minute.

"That's what it's all about, Carolina; it's our lives... Do you wanna know something?"

"Yes, I'd love to know something. Tell me," I said sarcastically.

"Don't be mad."

"Don't tell me what to do," I said in a warning tone. "Please," I added, venom practically dripping off of the word.