Move to the City

"So, where are we going to stay?" I asked, hoping my brother had a plan.

"I have no idea," he said, tossing our bags into the trunk of a taxi.

"Please tell me that we're not spending what's left of our money on a taxi..."

"We're not, relax. We have enough for a hotel."

"One night only, right?"

"Unfortunately."

"Shit."

"Yup. But hey, don't worry. We're gonna be fine. We have each other," he said happily, putting an arm around my shoulders, steering me towards the taxi.

As I climbed into the car, I found myself thinking of Will. Would he be here? Did he even keep contact with my brother? Maybe Jeff didn't even remember he was here... Maybe Will didn't want to see me.

"Carolina," Jeff asked, drawing my attention.

"Yeah?"

"I know what you're thinking, and... please don't get your hopes up. I can't promise anything and I don't want you to get hurt again."

"I won't, Jeff. It's fine... I don't expect anything, I just wonder if we'll see him."

"Maybe we will," he said with a shrug.

The twenty minute drive took us to a hotel on Sunset, and after checking in, we decided to explore the city. We passed through stores, restaurants, and even a few clubs as we attempted to get familiar with Los Angeles.

"Rae, are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why?"

"Nothin', you look a little tired, is all. Come on, let's go back. We're both worn out; it's been along trip and time change is gonna kick our asses," he said, leading me back to the hotel.

"It's a trip seeing how different people dress here," I said, observing the people walking the streets.

"Yeah. A lot more glamour... and hookers," he said, leaning away from a scantily clad woman that walked too close.

°°°°°°

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright alone? It's only the second day here," my brother asked, his hazel eyes swirling with concern as he towel dried his hair.

"Yes, Jeff, I'm sure. I'll be back later. If we're going to stay, I'm going to job hunt. We can't stay in a hotel if we can't pay for it."

"Yeah, and this is a cheap one," he said with a scoff. "Good luck, sis. Be safe."

"I will. See you later."

I closed the door behind me and headed down the sidewalk, in search of a way respectable way to make money. I didn't get it; how could women sell their bodies? It was just too weird to me.

This entire city was a strange thing to me. It was like a jungle of buildings, cars, and people, but it was beautiful. It temporarily satisfied my wanderlust. There were new places to explore, people to meet, and music to hear.

As I rounded a corner, I noticed a record store that was four doors down. I headed towards it, only to feel something slam into me from the side.

"Ouch! Hey, watch where you're going, asshole!" I grumbled.

"Shit, sorry."

I looked over to see a skinny boy that was probably around my age. He had medium length brown hair, a guitar case in one hand, and a pair of sunglasses in the other.