True Nature

My heart pounded as I headed back to my room, hoping that Steven didn't invite a girl for the evening. I reached our door, pausing to listen. Hearing only silence, I felt a little relieved as I tried to unlock the door.

I was a little too high, and my mind was in a scramble over kissing Nikki, so what was usually a simple task, was now a ten minute challenge. Steven was probably knocked out and couldn't hear me struggling on the other side of the door, which I checked the number on at least four times to make sure I wasn't freaking out some random people.

Finally, I got the door open, and slowly walked in. "Steven?" I called out, nervously trying to find my way through the dark. Man, I was too stoned for this; Tommy had some good shit. "Stevie, are you here?"

When there was still no answer, I began to worry. Be it overthinking, or habit- or even intuition, I panicked a little.

"Adler?"

I finally found the light switch, but only the fan turned on when I flipped it. Feeling around, I pulled the chain on a lamp, and then on the ceiling fan, making it so that I could actually see while I was looking for him.

I could hear water running, which made me feel a little better; he was probably in the shower and just couldn't hear me over the water. Still, I wanted to make sure.

Sticking my head into the bathroom, I felt my blood run cold; Steven sat in the bathtub, fully clothed, his bright blue eyes now bloodshot red. Blood had run from his nose, drying all over his face and neck. White powder was spread all over the counter and beer cans floated in the tub, which was overflowing with cold water, and pouring onto the floor.

"Steven!" I shouted, turning off the water and shaking his shoulders.

"I fucked up," he whispered.

"Stevie, look at me," I demanded. Hie responded by blinking, and slowly turning to face me. "Jesus, you're a mess. What happened to you? We just talked about this," I said, pointing to the cocaine as I grabbed a washcloth to wipe his face with.

"Axl..."

"Axl, what?" I asked absently as I wiped the blood from his face.

"I'm done."

"I would hope so; drugs are never a good thing to st-"

He put a cold, wet hand on my arm, making me freeze as if I had just been touched by a corpse.

"I'm done," he said slowly, his voice cracking. "Fired."

"W-what?" I asked, feeling the breath get caught in my chest.

"Axl fired me. They fired me," he repeated.

"Why would they do that?" I asked, feeling my emotions really fuck with my high- making it a bad high. "I mean, how could they do that? Are you sure they weren't joking?"

"I haven't been playing so well lately," he mumbled sadly, his eyes becoming glossy as they filled with tears.

"That's a bullshit reason. Look, let me help you, okay? We'll get you out of this tub, and into bed. I'll talk to Axl and see what's going on. I think the drugs might be going to your head," I mumbled.

After helping Steven get it together a little bit, I got ready to go see Axl and tried to figure out if I could talk any sense into him.

"Are you going to be okay if I leave?" I asked Steven, who was now in bed.

"I'll be fine; I think I'd rather be alone right now anyway," he mumbled.

"You got it. I'll be back later, okay? If I'm not, just assume that I've killed someone and gone to prison, 'kay?" I joked, earning a slight smile.