Chaos

"What's going on?" I asked Glenn as I tried to catch my breath.  He shrugged and asked, "You haven't seen Rick?" I shook my head no as Andrea and T-Dog walked over to us. Andrea said, "He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago." I turned as Daryl walked up beside me and grumbled, "Yeah you were. What the hell?" He spits on the ground as he says, "Damn it. Isn't anybody taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail." I turned as I heard footsteps behind me. Shane handed a gun to Daryl as he said, "You with me man?" Daryl grabs it and says, "Yeah." as he loads the weapon. I stare in disbelief as Shane walks past Andrea and asks "You already got yours?" Andrea nods and asks, "Yeah. Where's Dale?" Shane hands T-Dog a gun as he answers, "He's on his way." T-Dog holds the gun and looks around, "I thought we couldn't carry." Shane walks towards the porch. "Yeah well, we can and we have to."

I looked around trying to see if I could find Rick or Hershel, but they were nowhere in sight. My attention came back to Shane as he raised his voice and said, "Look. It was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe, but now we know it ain't." Shane walks over to Glenn and hands him a weapon. "How about you man? You gonna protect yours?" Glenn glanced at Maggie for a second as he took the gun. I took a few steps toward them as I firmly said, "This isn't your call to make." Shane ignored me as he asked Maggie if she could shoot. Maggie went on to say that her father was going to kick everyone off the farm if he kept it up. "Shane. You need to stop. We have no place else to go. Think about Carl." I paused, "And Lori..." Shane stiffened up. He turned to me and said, "How did you know abou-" Just then Lori came out, "What is this?" she asked with concern. Shane started scratching his head as he said, "We ain't going nowhere okay? Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He-- Well, he's gonna have to." He took a second as he walked towards Carl and extended a gun to him, "Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right? I want you to take this. You take it Carl and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes." Lori stepped in front of Carl and went off on Shane.

I turned to Daryl, "You're okay with this?" Daryl nods his head, "Yeah. You ain't? It's about time someone took charge around here. Although I hate that it's him; he's got a point and we gotta do something." I scowled as I bitterly said, "This isn't the way. Hershel will kick us out right away if we do this." I turned back towards Shane, ready to give him a piece of my mind when T-Dog loudly says, "Oh Shit." I looked over and I couldn't believe my eyes. Rick and Hershel were pulling two walkers on snare poles as Jimmy acted as bait, luring them out.  Shane took off running towards them, followed by the rest of us. We were all out of breath as we stood around Rick and Hershel. "Do you see? You see what they're holding onto?!" Shane shouted out to us like a maniac. Hershel pulled on the snare pole as he said, "I see who I'm holding onto!" I felt like I needed to do something, but I wasn't sure what. This all seemed crazy. "Ellie!" I heard Glenn shout my name as Rick yanked the walker out of my face. I jumped back and put my hand to my cheek. Had I been closer that walker would have had a chunk out of me. Rick was grunting as he said, "Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk." 

Shane shook his head as he followed Rick, "What you wanna talk about Rick? These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead! Ain't gonna feel nothing for them cuz all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy! They killed Otis! They're gonna kill all of us!" I looked around, everyone in the group was either crying or freaking out. I couldn't blame them. I looked at Daryl, he had his weapon ready to fire. Rick shouted, "Shane stop!" Shane stopped in front of Hershel and Rick. He turned to Hershel as he reached for his gun, "Hey Hershel, man let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person-- could they walk away from this?" I instinctively threw my hands up to my head as Shane fired off a couple rounds at the walker that Hershel was holding. Rick shouted at Shane once again, "Shane! Stop it! Shane!" At this point, I really don't think Shane was listening. His face was full of pure rage. His eyes grew angrier as he shot the walker again and asked, "Why is it still coming? That's its heart, its lungs. Why is it still coming?!" Rick shouted at the top of his lungs, "Shane, enough!" Shane didn't even look over at Rick as he walked towards Hershel. His eyes were locked on the walker as he hatefully said, "Yeah. You're right, man. That is enough." Shane shot the walker in the head and we all stood still waiting for something, anything, to happen. 

Shane was pacing back and forth. He rubbed his head as he said, "Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us. Enough! Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all want to live, if you want to survive, you got to fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now." and with that Shane took off running at the barn. "No!" I screamed at him. He was going to let the walkers out and no one was doing anything to stop it. Rick was yelling at Hershel to take the snare pole as I took off running after Shane. Daryl tried grabbing my arm as I ran past him, "Ellie, what the hell do you think you're doing?" I yanked my arm away from his grip and ran as fast as I could towards Shane. He was pounding away at the barn doors with a pick axe. I jumped onto his back and wrapped my arms as tight as I could around his neck. He was grunting as he tried to pull me off him. I held on as tight as I could, hoping that I had gotten to him in time. I screamed as he lost his balance. The fall sent him toppling onto me and then onto the dusty ground. Shane stood up quickly and drew his gun out. My voice caught in my throat as I looked up to see that I had been too late. He had broken the lock and the doors were slowly opening. Walkers started pouring out through the barn doors. Andrea was the first one to stand next to Shane. Daryl ran over to me. He looked down at me and handed me a gun. He snarled as he said, "Get up and take it. Fight." I hesitated for a second or two but grabbed the weapon as I stood up and started shooting as the rest of the group joined us in the line of fire. One by one the walkers dropped to the floor, their bodies lying completely still. The smell of gunpowder made me crinkle my nose. I could hear people crying behind me.

We were all breathing hard as adrenaline rushed through all of our veins. I looked back as I heard Dale walking towards us. He looked around in confusion and disbelief. We made eye contact and I looked over at Shane, blaming him for everything that happened. Suddenly we heard a growl coming from the barn. Daryl raised his gun, ready to fire. Only to find himself lowering it back down. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands as I looked at Carol. Her eyes filled up with tears as she started whimpering. Carol started sobbing and screaming her name, "Sophia? Sophia! Sophia. Sophia." She started running towards her daughter, but Daryl grabbed her and held her down. He tried to calm Carol down as we all looked at one another not knowing what to do. I felt a lump form in my throat. I wanted to cry so bad, the anger and sadness I felt was overbearing. But I didn't. I couldn't. 

No one moved. No one, except for Rick. He walked right past us and stood in front of Sophia. He pulled his gun out and pointed it at her head. I didn't know whether to look away or not. None of it felt real. I watched as Rick pulled the trigger.  The sound of the gunshot echoed all around us. The 'thud' of Sophia's body hitting the ground sounded louder than it should have. It was as if in that moment everything was amplified. I stood there looking around at all of the death that laid around us. I could only think of one question... How did this happen?

***Hey everyone. 

This is the part where I apologize tremendously for being MIA the past couple of months. I am so super duper sorry to those of you that have been waiting for me to post. I am so sorry! I'm pretty much settled by now so expect chapters every couple of days. Yes, I said "couple of days" instead of every day. The reason being; My life is super busy at the moment. I have a full-time job, I volunteer for a Crisis Text Line program, and I just recently moved into my own home. I hardly have time for anything anymore! Which makes me pretty sad because I miss writing on here sooooo bad. I missed you all very much, and I hope that you at least enjoy this chapter. I did what I could with what little time I had. If you guys don't like it then let me know. But, the good news is that I'm back! I hope to reconnect with all of you soon <3 Thank you my lovelies. Please vote and comment!

Sincerely,

Sam.***