Twenty-Seven

Chapter 27

Lloyd had given me his number before I left earlier, so I texted him to say I was going to be much later than usual. He seemed fine with it as he'd discovered my CD collection and was presently going through it as if he'd just found treasure or something. I put my phone back in my bag and found a café that wouldn't close till late to wait inside.

Several questions ran through my head.

One: how would Calum react? I mean, I was pretty sure he wouldn't be happy with it, but what if he was?

Two: what if, despite him breaking up with Ashton, he still didn't like me? Would I ever confess or would it just be a platonic relationship between us forever?

Three: what if he already had a crush on someone else? What if he would develop one soon after? He seemed to rotate between crushes every few months or so; he was never serious enough to follow through with any but he had with Ashton which meant there was a possibility for every other person he had a crush on that they'd go out.

I let out a huge sigh and took a sip of my drink. I had a feeling that night would be a long one, so I'd ordered a double shot of espresso. The barista had given me a weird look – who drunk strong coffee at six pm? Normal people wouldn't even go into a café at that time.

My phone was the only distraction I had, but that had run out of battery so I just sat there, and at around nine thirty I finally stepped outside and made my way to the football team captain's house.

~

As I was approaching, throngs of people were exiting in ball gowns and night dresses, as well as posh looking suits. I caught sight of a few familiar faces, some of which smiled back at me. I even saw Michael – wait what?!

"Michael, what are you doing here?" I shouted, going over to him. He saw me and waved anxiously.

"Er... Ashton needs me for his plan. Did you hear he's breaking up with Calum today?"

I facepalmed and shook my head. This really wasn't going to end well. "I did, what does he need you for?" I asked, numerous possibilities running through my head. "He's not going to... kiss you in front of him, is he?"

To my surprise he nodded. "Yeah. That's his plan."

"Holy fuck. Well, now I wish I hadn't gotten involved."

"Listen... I know this to you seems really awful, especially since you're like against relationships. But me and Ashton need each other and no one else; painful though it may be to watch him break up with someone else for me, I also know that it's the best thing he can do for our relationship. I just really hope Calum takes it well, because if not, I might begin to regret everything."

I shut my eyes to bring peace to my frenzied mind, and let him go inside whilst I waited. Calum would probably come running out at some point and all I had to do was be there. So, I stood on the pavement outside the house, receiving weird looks from the last dribbles of party-goers until there was no one left, at which point I began to get suspicious. What was going on in the house? Curiosity took over and I walked across the lawn to the front door, hearing signs of humans round the back.

Inching a bit closer, I pressed my head against the door and tried listening in; but the door was too thick and I couldn't hear a thing.

Two minutes passed.

Then five minutes.

Then ten.

I was beginning to believe they'd all been okay and left round the back, but was proven wrong when I heard a shout.

"You're what?!"

Yep. That was Calum.

"Listen to me, Calum, let me explain myself." Ashton's voice then quietened as he told Calum. I realised that I could open the letterbox and that made hearing things much easier. "I wanted to tell you a long time ago, but never found the opportunity."

"Who else knows about this?" I could hear the hurt in his voice, and desperately wanted to dive in a give him a massive hug. I peeked through the box and saw them standing opposite each other by the hallway mirror.

"A couple of our friends. The point is-"

"Why did you even date me? Was I anything to you?"

"Yes, you were! You still are! I dated you because I genuinely thought you were a sweet guy, besides you kept following me and I thought it'd be fun to get to know you. Then I found out that I wasn't the person you were supposed to be with... and let myself go."

"What do you mean you weren't the person? Do you know how much I like you?!"

A few moments passed in silence, and sighs were heard.

"What if I'm okay with you being polyamorous?" Calum continued in a softer tone.

"I'm going to stop being polyamorous. Because I found someone I really like."

"Who?"

As if on cue, Michael appeared from the staircase. They started kissing, and Calum gasped. The kiss broke off and Ashton said, "I've kind of been dating Michael too."

Calum lost all remaining humanity inside him and ran out, bumping into me whilst choking on his tears. My eyes widened when I realised he was actually crying, and when he saw me he ran into my arms. "Luke... Luke why are you here?" he sobbed, breathing uneven and voice raspy.

"I thought this might be happening," I whispered, stroking his back with a firm hand. I let him cry into my shoulder for a good few minutes, whilst he told me everything I'd just heard.

***

Wooo XD

I don't know what to say except that the next chapter will be kinda exciting :)) I can't wait to finish this! I love finishing stories. I don't usually get past chapter 10 basically so this is already a decent achievement :D

Question for you all: what is your favourite 5sos cover? Mine is 'We Are Young', the video is definitely Luke's best ;) if you know what I mean...

Thanks for reading, I love you all so much, let's get this story to 1K!

Kimmy xx