Fourteen

I've missed updating this. Thank god it surpassed 250 reads haha

Chapter 14

"Luke, do you know what time it is? Unlock your door, I need to clean your room before we go out."

My eyes opened and I was harshly met by the dazzling rays from outside my window. Squinting, I fumbled about for my phone and saw that it was already eleven. Damn, I'd only managed to sleep four hours.

I caught sight of the empty wine bottle and quickly shoved it in my wardrobe, and only then did the headache hit me. And did it hit me hard.

"Luke? Are you awake? I can hear you moving. Open the door."

"I'm coming, for heaven's sake..." I grumbled as I turned the little knob and opened the door to see a lively looking mum holding a feather duster and some spray. "Can I stay at home today?"

"I already told them you would help. They really need a pair of extra hands today, I promise it won't take more than two hours, okay? Now go and help yourself to some breakfast."

~

Thankfully, Lloyd stayed out of my way during the day. He'd obviously noticed the bags under my eyes, and how I couldn't pick up some of the heavier boxes, so got on with his own stuff and helped the mums and dads move stuff around.

At four, they went to the furniture to pick up some more stuff, leaving me to my own devices. I decided to go home, pick up my phone and go to the library to be alone, because no one my age went to the library unless they seriously liked reading, like me.

Upon checking my phone, I found that Calum had texted me quite a lot. I wanted to apologise so badly for what I'd said last night; it hadn't been me speaking. But apologising would mean having to tell him the truth, and in this case the truth hurt more than covering it up with a smirk.

I took the bus into town where the massive council library stood, sitting right at the back with the volume of my music cranked up so I couldn't hear anything. I could feel myself nodding off; the bus gently going over bumps in the road seemed to lull me and I had to pinch myself to stay awake.

With a deep breath I got off at the right stop (thank the lord) and entered through the big glass doors, walking past the reception to the adult library. I found a quiet spot in a corner by a window where you could look down on the park below, and picked up a random classic that I'd read before, starting at page one.

"Luke?" someone said, thirty minutes into my book. I looked up, stretching my neck whilst I was at it, and saw Calum. I raised my eyebrows, eyes widening a little.

"O-oh hey. What are you doing here?"

"Just... looking for you." I felt my cheeks heat up a little. "You ignored my texts and all my apologies."

"If anything, it should be me apologising," I said quietly. "I know I've been acting like a dick recently and I would explain why but it's not the right time."

He perched on the arm of my chair and smiled. "It's okay – you don't have to tell me. Can you at least hang out with us though? We really miss you." He pulled me in for a hug without asking, and unlike usual I hugged him back. "Lukey? Can you?"

"Yeah," I whispered into his ear, head on his shoulder. "Yeah, I can."

"I also wanted to let you know... Ashton and I are going out now. I had to tell you and make sure you were okay, because I don't exactly want you to feel disgusted every time he and I are together."

I pulled away and nodded, giving him a small stiff smile. "I'm fine with it."

But was I?

~

On Monday, I was back to normal and Calum spent more time with me instead of going upstairs. Lessons were pretty average in the morning and I thought I'd be having a boring uneventful day until it got to lunchtime.

Michael and I sat opposite Calum and Ashton, who were having a full on make-out session right there in front of us. "Guys, chill!" Michael whined, pretending to be disgusted by it. All I could do was stare at Calum's face and feel really hot because of it. His eyes were shut, lips were parted, and his fucking jawline looked eatable.

I broke my gaze and turned to Michael, who was now on his phone. "How do you feel about this?" I asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"Meh," he began, before lowering his voice and continuing, "I don't care because I know I can fuck Ashton whenever I want."

"That's fucking gross," I snapped whilst picking at the salad mum had packed me with a plastic fork. I'd suddenly lost my appetite. "I don't understand how people can have more than one relationship at the same time," I whispered back.

I still didn't know if Calum knew about Ashton's ability to go around kissing and flirting with anyone he wanted, nor did I want to find out.

If he knew, then I'd feel embarrassed and like an idiot for thinking he didn't.

If he didn't, then I'd feel awful for being the one to break the news to him.

There was essentially no way that I could win. For the moment though, I had to be happy for him as a friend, no matter how much it hurt on the inside to watch them kissing.

~

At the end of the day, we'd planned to head to the beach since it was getting really warm and the weather was perfect for splashing about in the water. I packed away my homework into my backpack and quickly texted mum to let her know I'd be home late.

The other three were waiting outside the gates – but it wasn't only them, when I got outside.

Lloyd was there too.

Fucking Lloyd.

***

ooh 

wass gonna happen

I'm doing a mega update this morning so you'll find out by clicking/swiping to the next chapter

Vote+comment for virtual 5sos scarf

Kimmy xx