Eleven

Big revelation (well not that big) coming up...

Chapter 11

During the next week, we four hung out a lot and it was clear that Ashton and Calum had gotten closer. I mean, it was inevitable, since they went to football practice together every other day, and often went to each other's houses afterwards. Michael still talked to girls, hitting on them at every opportunity and I, well I just got on with my life.

Not true.

I tried to get on with my life but in all honesty I was getting pissed.

"Luke, you coming to lunch?" Calum checked, walking past my desk where I was sitting doing work. I shook my head.

"I'm not that hungry." I said this knowing it would spark a reaction from him.

"Oh, okay. See you later then."

What the fuck?!

He'd literally not even bothered to ask what was wrong, that little... ugh. Why was I even noticing crap like this anyway? If it was last month, I wouldn't have given two fucks.

Yes, but it's not last month, it's now and you like Calum more than you did last month.

Pushing those thoughts out of my head, I closed my notebook and hurried after Calum, not wanting to eat alone. He smiled, putting an arm around my shoulder. "I knew you'd come."

"What do you mean?"

He chuckled. "Oh come on, Luke, you're never not hungry. You need like, five meals a day or you'll complain that you'll stop growing. Right, let's just head upstairs to get Ash and Michael and then we'll go to the canteen."

"You call him Ash now?" God, I sounded hurt. I covered it up with a cough.

"Y-yeah. We, er, we're a lot closer now, thanks to you. I don't know how to thank you, Luke. I think being able to practice on a neutral being first definitely helped."

A neutral being; was that all I was to him? "Don't mention it. I'm here for you, buddy."

We reached the top of the stairs and saw Michael and Ashton by their lockers, engrossed in some deep conversation. "Ash!" Calum shouted, taking his arm off my shoulder and running up to them. They fist-bumped and immediately began a conversation, which seemed to piss Michael off. Once I'd caught up, I said hi to him.

"How you doing?"

"Meh. Fine I guess."

"You don't sound it."

He shut his eyes, then his locker door, putting the folder under his arm. "I'm fine."

"Did some girl stand you up again? Refuse to give you a blowjob? Walk out on you?"

"No to all three, now stop asking."

I had a hunch it was to do with Ashton and Calum having gotten closer, so I brought it up. "Is it about them?" I asked in a hushed tone, looking at the other two. He nodded almost unnoticeably. "You don't like them being close?"

"I'm fine if they're friends but they seem to be more now."

"Really? What do you mean?" I almost didn't want to know, but my curiosity had taken over my mouth.

He sighed, leaning against the grey metal boxes lining the corridor. "Ashton was meant to come to mine last night but he went to Calum's instead. He keeps messing with us, it's so frustrating. I mean, I get he's polyamorous and all, but-"

"He's what?!" I yelled, causing everyone around to look at me – but I didn't care. This was serious. "Does Cal know?" I whispered. He shrugged.

"Why is it so surprising for you? He hooks up with girls all the time. You're not even into anyone, so it shouldn't bother you."

"It's not that it bothers me so much... it's more I know for sure now that things aren't going to end well. And that maddens me because I can't even do anything about it." He looked at me in a confused way, cutting off our conversation and joining the other two who were animatedly chatting about football.

I simply sighed and walked behind them to the canteen.

~

The final bell rang and I was out of the classroom before anyone had even begun to pack their things away. It had been a long day and I just wanted to be at home, listening to music or reading, without any distractions at all.

However, on my way out of the school gates, a hand pulled my arm and made me turn around. It was Calum.

"Luke, where are you off to so soon after school?" he asked, panting as if he'd just been running.

"I need to go home, that's all."

He gave me a pained look, sending butterflies through my stomach. "But we decided at lunch that we'd all go for coffee after school," he reminded me. I knew, and I had acknowledged it, but that didn't stop me from changing my mind.

"Sorry. Something came up."

"Luke. Tell me what's wrong."

I hesitated, wondering whether telling him about Ashton would actually do any good. He probably already knew, and was up for it. I jerked my hand away, smiling. "Nothing's wrong. I need to go, so I'll see you tomorrow."

He wanted to say more, I could see it in his eyes, and yet I walked off as if nothing had just happened. What was going on? What was happening to our friendship?

Had I really just let a guy come between us?

Ignoring it, I pressed on home, through the humid heat of the soon-to-be summer. When I got home, I was greeted by mum with a healthy nut snack bar which I took despite not wanting to eat it.

"Luke, just wanted to let you know, Natalie and Greg are moving back into our neighbourhood! Lloyd has finished university and is currently looking for a job here, so this weekend I'd like you to come and help me and dad sort out their things in their new house. Is that okay?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I wanted to wake up and pretend it was all just a dream, that Lloyd and his family had never shown up, that Calum wasn't after Ashton... but the truth was, it was real. And it was time I woke up to cold hard reality because I needed to stop lying to myself.

"Yeah. That's fine."

***

SO ASHTON IS POLYAMOUROUS

HOW WE FEELING?

Vote+comment for virtual 5sos toothpaste

Kimmy xx