Chapter 2 - Study Buddies

The day went by pretty fast considering I could only think about what Jay had said this morning.

I mean I've known John since 3rd grade, there is NO way he likes me. He's teased me since the day we met. I hope he doesn't think this is a date.

Oh no, he probably thinks this is a date.

I made a quick trip to my locker and made my way to my car when I felt an arm drape over my shoulder. It was John. I elbowed him in his side to get him off which made him laugh.

"Can I get a ride? I missed the bus, and before you say no, you're already going to my house."

"Fine." I huffed.

The car ride to Johns was pretty hilarious. John lip sang to just about every song that came on the radio.

I pulled into the driveway and realized his parents weren't home. I really hope he doesn't think this is a date. I took the key out of the ignition and walked up to the large wooden front floor.

I haven't been to his house since his 11th birthday party. We were closer then than we are now. We met when we were nine but is birthday was the day I realized his family was rich. The crystal chandelier hanging from the high ceiling of the living room. The china cabinet beside the large black and white photographs his dad had to have taken. His mom was probably on some runway helping models. She's a makeup artist and a brilliant one at that. With their professions, they were rarely home. They loved him though and they never let him go a day without telling him they did. I always thought it was cute but he hates it.

The house still looks the same. No changes at all. John's kindergarten artwork framed along the hallways. The house was beautiful, I was in love with it. I still am.

I went and sat down on the couch and pulled out my laptop and some pens. John plopped down next to me and just smiled. Him staring into my brown eyes, me staring into his hazel ones.

"What?"

"Nothing." He smirks showing off his dimples. "So art first or chem?"

"Chemistry. Definitely. Hard stuff first."

He lifts his thick, dark brown eyebrows. Honestly, I walked right into that one.

"Don't."

"I didn't say anything!" he chuckled

I jokingly glared at him and opened my beginning art sketchbook.

--------------------------

"Well, I feel smarter already." He smiled and hopped up from the couch and headed to the kitchen.

"Want something to eat? We could order something or I can cook." Sticking his head in the refrigerator searching for food.

"Wait a minute, you cook?"

"Yeah didn't you know? Everyone in the Fields family is talented. My mom paints faces, dad takes pictures, I make a heavenly grilled cheese." He winked and hopped onto the marble counter.

"Huh, I didn't really peg you for the cooking type. Maybe the white-kid-to-wreck-his-sixth-Camaro type, but not cooking."

"Well if you stopped hating me and rolling your eyes at me you would know I'm not a complete ass and I don't own a Camaro."

"Well, what else can you cook, chef Fields?"

"How about burgers? Come here, I'll teach you."

I must have made a face because he let out a long sigh. He threw his head back and extended his hand to me.

"Come on, if you can teach me about the Elements of Art, I can teach you how to cook."

"I bake, I do not cook. I frost cupcakes I don't sauté onions. Honestly, this isn't a good idea."

"Well, you have the best teacher right here. It'll be fun!"

He reached into a drawer and pulled out an apron and handed it to me. What am I getting myself into?