Hunter

Hunter watched the house Haven lived in, from where he’d taken refuge in their shed. It wasn’t the best place he’d crashed but it was the best he could do without venturing out and getting the hunters on his ass again. They dissolved into the woods as soon as he crossed into the yard. Though today that bitch wondered in, ugh! Not to mention Haven stunk of her, no Haven was his not hers. His scent was meant to be tangled with his not hers.

  Hunter growled again. Not cool; nobody is allowed to touch the kid without Hunter’s consent. Hunter stared off into space and wondered when it became an issue. He shook his head, he was losing it Haven was just being nice and Hunter was getting overly attached.

  He’d been stuck in his wolf form, Thanks to those damned arrows with their stupid Wolfsbane infused in the shafts. It would have been easier if Haven had happened upon him in his human form.

  But no, Hunter’s luck was just that bad. Now he was becoming the family pet. Hunter glared at the dog food they’d left out, like he’d actually eat anything that smelled that repulsive. They should have known he’d turn his nose up to it. Haven knew, Hunter could tell by the way Haven looked at it when he came out today. He knew from the way Haven took extra care when pulling out the arrows and how his hands had a strange soothing effect on him.

  Weird, Hunter hated humans but this one was okay. Overly jumpy and a little spastic but the way he looked at him let Hunter know that he truly cared. Hunter was a little stunned with his own behavior when that bitch walked up like she owned the fucking place!

  Since she left Hunter has been on full alert. Haven was in his room sleeping, Hunter could tell since he hadn’t heard him move in a long time. Haven’s mother wasn’t back yet but she did leave and not return for a long time often. Hunter guessed she was with that other man, who was not her husband. She smelled of all the time.

  After two days passed and no sightings of the hunters but the signs of their presence was everywhere Hunter somewhat settled again. Haven walked out and sat down in front of the shed facing away from the house and forest. Hunter didn’t like that; he stood up and put himself between the woods and Haven. He needed to protect him and Haven smirked, as if he knew Hunter’s intentions but there was no way he could know. But there it is that knowing smile, practically smug. It annoyed Hunter but he couldn’t bring himself to be truly mad about it.

  Hell, he was going soft with those pretty blues staring at him it was hard to be mad which was unnerving. He snorted and looked away from Haven only to be splashed with water. It’s a damn good thing it was warm or Haven wouldn’t have a face to speak of anymore. Haven dove right in and started scrubbing the caked on mud and dirt out of Hunter’s fur and lathering on shampoo.

  That might have been the reason behind the smirk, fuck him, jerk, whatever.

  Hunter growled a warning that really meant nothing and Haven seemed to know it. “Shush you pussy, you stink and mom is getting annoyed with your ‘close to death’ appearance.” Hunter still growled at him when he got the soap in his eyes. Haven took his damn time with cleaning him too, despite Hunter’s complaining. Once rinsed off Haven dropped a large towel on him and started drying him off.

  For fuck’s sake,

  Hunter brushed him off and shook. “UGH! Gross, Fido stop!” Haven complained much to Hunter’s satisfaction. But alas it was short lived when Haven tackled him with the towel, damn he was strong. Though Hunter doubted he would have gotten away with it if Hunter wasn’t distracted. Haven gave him a few more good rubs before his sister spoke up.

  “You two seem to be getting along.” Her voice startled Hunter and he let out a vicious growl. Haven jumped and scrambled away. “I stand corrected.” Karen mused aloud. Her eye brows furrowed thoughtfully.