Chapter 6

I wake up the next morning feeling relieved and better than yesterday. My eye looked a lot better. Like, it was almost gone. My body felt better, too. Maybe things are looking up. I got ready, and grabbed my stuff. Kayla said she would take me today since Kai was suspended. I wonder how well that went over with his parents. They are the type where you have to get A’s or die. I imagine he is MAJORLY grounded for quite some time.

    I sit on my front porch, waiting for Kayla to come and pick me up. Three days. Three days I will be eighteen. I can start my life over, and become a new person. I have been saving up money from previous jobs, birthdays, anything I could. My mom opened a savings account for me ever since I was seven. Anything I earn I put in there so I wouldn’t be tempted to spend it. I imagine I have at least six thousand dollars in there. Once I finish high school, I plan to move far away. Imagining that none of this ever happened. I have been planning this ever since I was little. Before my dad left. I just haven’t told Kai or Kayla. I don't know if I will tell them either.

“Hey.” Kayla yells at me. “You ready?”

“Yeah.” I say, standing up to go to the car. I’m the only person at the school who doesn’t have a car. I’m fine with it, too. Soon I will be the only person to have their own apartment. I smile at the thought. My own space. It will feel amazing.

“Have you figured out what you are going to do with Mr. Legusy?”

“You are such a downer, you know that?” I joke at her. “No. And with Kai not here today, here is probably going to make a move.”

“Ah. I wouldn’t blame him if he did. It would be the perfect opportunity. But don’t lead him on okay?”

“What do you mean?” I turn my body toward her.

“Well, if you show some sort of emotion, like lust, or something, he will just keep coming back for more. You have to be cold towards him. Show him you have no interest.”

“I can't do that! I’m not a mean person. I can't be mean to people. And there is another problem.”

“What now?”

“I don't know if I’m not interested.” I manage to squeak out.

“Araceli! You have the worst luck when it comes to boys.”

“More like bad timing.”

“That too.” I manage to laugh a little. Kayla is good at making me laugh when I don’t really want to.

“What am I going to do?”

“I have no idea. This is all you. I can’t help you make a decision on this one.” She smiles. “But, I do think you should tell Kai. Sooner, rather than later.”

“I know. I think I should tell him, too. I just don’t know how.”

“I can come with when you tell him. If that would make you feel better.”

“Yeah that would be great. I think I will tell on prom night. I can't go, he can't go. It would be the best time. Plus, it’s my birthday, so he can't get that mad.” We both laugh.

“I don’t think I am doing anything so if you need me, just call me.”

“Will do.” I say stepping out of the car, as the same time as Kayla. She is always there for me. “You are a great best friend.”

“I know.” She smiles. I push the door open to the school, allowing Kayla to go in first. I follow behind her, walking to the cafeteria. We get there, and I almost die of shock.

“Araceli!” I see Jenna waving at me. “Come sit over here.” She patted the seat next to her.” I look at Kayla, but she has already gone to sit with Dylan. Dylan was sitting at the same table as Jenna, so I guess I could rely on Kayla to save us. Maybe even Dylan, if he is true about being nice.