Chapter 8

I got dressed, and went to lunch. I instantly feel bad for hanging around Dylan. Why am I so stupid? He is dating my best friend. I shouldn’t even talk to him. I am the worst friend ever.

“Hey.” Kayla Greets Dylan and I. She only looks at me, though.

“Hi.” I say back. This is really awkward…

“Okay. Enough of this. are you still mad at me?” Dylan bursts through the silence.

“Maybe…” Kayla says, folding her arms across her chest. She has always been the type to hold a grudge. Luckily, it has never been used on me.

“Oh come on. You can’t stay mad forever.”

“Yes, she can. Maybe if you stuck around you would have seen it.” I say, taking Kayla’s side. I will always take Kayla’s side over anyone’s. Plus, I’m mad at him for having to break her heart later.

Dylan stands up straight and rubbed the back of his neck. “Look, I have said I’m sorry at least ten thousand times. When are you going to forgive me?” He is looking at me now.

“I don’t know if I ever can. I’m afraid that if I let you in, you’ll just leave. Again.” I say in an almost whisper tone. I was looking at the ground. I only looked up when I felt arms wrap around me. Actually two pairs wrap around me.

“I promise. That will never happen. I love you both way too much to let that happen again.” Dylan says in our group hug.

“Even if he does leave, I will be here, and so will Kai.” Dylan tenses at the name Kai. I’m a little scared to tell him, too. “And we will never leave.” I step out of the hug and smile at them both.

“Thanks Kay.” I say and turn toward Dylan. “It’s going to take a while for me to take you back. We were emotionally attached to you. And you left, and made us detached from each other, and the world, for a while. I will think about taking you back, but that is as close as positive of an answer that you will get so far.”

“That’s is good enough for me right now, especially since you hated me less than a week ago.” He smiles as we walk to the table with Jenna and the popular kids. Once again Jenna had requested me to sit with them. I didn’t feel the least bit comfortable sitting with them. I listened to everything they said, but took part in none of it. Most of it was gossip and talking about everyone behind their backs. It made me wonder if any of these people had any real friends. I certainly wouldn’t want to be friends with someone who talked about me the second I left. It made me think of all the times I would hear obscene whispers from the table with laughing involved. They used to talk about me. And now I’m here. With them. I couldn’t believe what I have done. I have essentially, just taken part in bullying. I felt sick, and I didn’t eat anything on my tray. Kayla attacked me with questions as soon as I got up to dump my tray.  

“Why didn’t you eat anything?”

“I didn’t feel good.”

“Araceli, cut the crap. Are you starving yourself again? I thought we were done with this. Is this because of Jenna? I swear I’m going to...”

“Relax!” I cut her off. I’m passed that stage in my life where I try to be perfect. I will never be and no one will ever think I am so why even try anymore.”I’m  not starving myself again and Keep your voice down. I don’t want the whole world knowing I was anorexic for two years. That’s not something you just blurt out to people!”

“Sorry. I just want you to be healthy and okay.”

“I will never be okay. But I can act like it.” I smile at her and walk upstairs to the lockers. She knows that I won't be okay, too. I will never forget my past and what people have done to me.  Especially the people who were supposed to love me…