Chapter 12

"What?" Kai, Kayla, and Dylan all yell at once.

“I don't know.” I read the card out to them.

“Does your mom know?” Kai asks hugging me tighter.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so at least. What if he is already on his way here?” I ask, afraid of what would happen.

“It’s okay. He won't come anywhere near you.” Kai tries to reassure me.

“We need to tell your mom.” Kayla says. “I don’t this to start again.”

“My mom is working and she is probably busy.” I say trying to get around telling my mom. As I say it, my mom walks in the room to check up on me. Great.

“What do you need to tell me?” Mom asks. Everyone looks at me.

“It’s okay. Tell her.” Dylan gestures.

“What’s going on?” Mom asks concerned. She sits on the bed next to me. I sigh and begin to speak.

“I got a birthday card today.”

“That’s great! Is it from Aunt Mel?”

“No. It’s from dad. He’s coming home.” Her face is full of shock and grief. We all knew one day he would come back. He had to. I just wish it wasn’t on my birthday. I wish it wasn’t at all.

“That can’t be right. he can’t be…” Was all she could say.

“I don’t want to be here when he comes back. I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I want to move out.” I blurt without thinking. I haven’t told anyone, and now my two best friends and my boyfriend are finding out for the first time.

“How are you going to move out?” My mom asks.

“I have been saving up money since I was seven. All my birthday money, and summer jobs I have had went into the savings account.” Everyone was silent.

“Where are you going to move to?” Kayla breaks the silence.

“I don't know yet.” I confess. I honestly have no idea.

“We can move out together. We are getting married after all.” Kai says.

“Married?!” My mom yells. Shit. I haven’t told her yet. I guess I just forgot.

“You didn’t tell her?” Kayla and Dylan say at the same time.

“They knew before me?” She says. “Since when have you guys been engaged?”

“Today. It was a birthday present.” I say.

“That’s one hell of a present, Kai.” My mom says and we all chuckle. She gets serious  again. “Do you want to move in together? Are you guys ready?” I turn and face Kai.

“Do you think we are ready?” I ask him.

“I am if you are. I wouldn’t have proposed if I wasn’t ready.”

“I’m ready. It will be like a big sleepover.” I turn towards my mom. “Yeah. We are ready.”

“I believe you. I have never seen someone so in love. I believe that you guys honestly love each other with all your heart.” She smiles.

“We do.” We say at the same time. I laugh. I guess we think exactly alike.

“When do you think he will be here?” I ask sullenly.

“Probably in a week or so.” She answers. It quiets down to only the sound of other nurses and doctors. “When is graduation?”

“Um…. next Thursday?” I say.