Chapter 11

“She will be okay. We flushed all the pills out of her system and she should wake up with in the next hour. Just call for me if you need anything.” I hear a male voice say.

“Thanks.” I think it’s Kai. I can’t quite tell. Everything sounds blurry. I slowly open my eyes. I have a headache and this light isn't helping. I finally get my eyes all the way open and my head is pounding. I feel like I need to throw up or I already have. I just feel totally gross all over.

I look around and realize that I’m in the hospital. Memories come flooding back of what happened today. I can't even believe what happened.

“Kai?” I say. Well, it was more of an inaudible squeak. Kai whips his head up and looks at me.

“Araceli? Your awake!” He jumps up and comes toward me. He gives me a hug and kisses me like he will never see me again.

“Hi.” I say back to him.

“Hi.” He laughs, but his face turns serious. “I thought I was going to lose you today. Do you have any idea what it’s like to walk into your girlfriend’s house and see her laying on the floor with an empty bottle of pills? Because that is what happened to me. I had no clue what had happened at school, I still don’t know. All I know is it’s my girlfriend’s birthday, and she tried to commit suicide.” I look up at his face. He had been crying earlier. I have never seen him cry or look this upset in my life. “What happened?”

I have to go all the back to when Jenna said she was sorry and wanted to be friends. I explained how much fun I had with them and it was nice to just not always be on guard. He nodded in agreement. I explained to him about Dylan and Kayla together, and why the split up. I didn’t even mean to, it just flowed out of my mouth.

“What? Dylan likes you?” Kai says, but it wasn't really a question. “I knew that this would happen.” I was a little taken back by his statement.

“What do you mean?” I ask him to elaborate.

“I have told you for years that you are amazing and perfect. When I think of the perfect girl, I think of you. I have never told you this, but I have liked you since I moved here. I knew that sometime, someone would notice you. That’s why I am so protective of you. You think I’m overreacting but it’s the truth.” He explains to me. It’s the same thing that Legusy said to me. Legusy said I’m perfect.

“Well, you don’t have to worry about Dylan. Kayla and him are back together and they said they love each other and everything.” I try to calm him down. He relaxes a little.

“Good. So, what else happened?”

“On Thursday, Legusy said we had to write I journal everyday for A.P. writing. The journal Thursday was how do you define love.”

“What about it?” He says a little confused on why I brought it up. I have been dreading this moment. I take a deep breath in.

“On Monday, after class, Legusy kissed me.” I breathe out. I look at Kai. He is full on shocked. I continue, “During P.E., when we got into the fight, he said that I was perfect.” Kai stands up and walks closer to the bed and sits next to me. He lays down and pulls me into his arms.

“I am never letting you go. Now continue the story.” Kai says making sure I can’t leave.

“Legusy wrote a poem. I didn’t read it until after school.” I took the paper out of my pocket.

“You kept it?” He said.

“Yes.” I read it to him. He tenses up and pulls me closer to him again. “He told me that he put in his resignation letter and he was leaving the school.” I say reliving the memory.