Chapter 4

“Is that Dylan James?” Kai asks me.

“I think so. What is she doing?”

“I have no idea. Let’s go find out.” He says moving toward our table.

“Kai! Stop!” I whisper yell at him, but he can't hear me over all the noise. I catch up to him. Kai and I sit down. Kayla and Dylan see us and stop making out.

“I’ll talk to you later, babe. Text me.” Dylan says as he heads over to the popular table. Kai and I look at each other, baffled.

“What” Kayla says, reapplying her lip gloss.

“What the hell was that?” I manage to say.

"Oh… Dylan? Nothing we have been talking for awhile, and we’re dating."

“Haven’t you liked him since, like, seventh grade?” Kai adds to the conversation.

“What?! No! Well, kinda.” Kayla says looking at her food.

“It’s okay. Everyone likes him, sometime or another.” I say and Kai looks at me.

“Really?” He says. “How could you like him? He doesn't seem like your type.”

“He didn't always use to be a total douchebag. He and I actually used to be really good friends.” I tell Kai.

“When?!”

“It was like from second to fourth grade. Then he got contacts and became popular.” I tell him. He was Kayla’s friend, too. I guess he isn’t done messing with her. “Anyways, Kayla, are you sure he likes you? People like him don't talk to people like us.”

“He is one of us!”

“Not anymore, Kayla. He has completely changed. I heard he got one girl pregnant and another in jail for underaged drinking.” I explain to her.

“I’m sure he likes me. He said he misses me. And you, too. He wants to be friends again. He just texted me and said that you look amazing.” She says typing on her phone.

“Well tell him she has a boyfriend.” Kai says, coming into the conversation.

“Relax. I have no interest in becoming his friend.”

“Fine miss out on him. More for me.” Kayla says.

“I confronted Kai about his lying.” I say

“You are the one who told her?” He asks her.

“She was asking questions, and you know I'm not good with secrets. I had to tell her.” She explains to Kai.

“ It’s fine. She was going to find out anyways.” Kai says to her.

“I’m right here guys.” I say.

“Sorry.” They say at the same time.

“Kai and I got in a fight, made up, then Kai said he was going to beat people up to protect me.” I tell Kayla.

“Ouch! Today is not your day, Kai. How did the principal’s office go, Kai?”

“I am suspended for three days and can't go to prom.”Kai says like it’s casual talk.

“When were you going to tell me?”

“I just did. You have been mad all day and I haven’t been able to talk to you.” He tries to explain.

“That’s nice Kai. Thanks for telling me.” I say getting irritated again.

“And Kai strikes out!” Kayla says eating her pizza.